Shrink an Image after creation?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tsaebeht
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - March 14 2009 :  15:39:17  Show Profile
Well here's my dilemma I wanted to stop using a raid0 setup (2x500GB) because I've had other problems with my new pc lately, such as having to replace bad memory, and I wanted to simplify things. So I created and verified a disk image on an external (400GB WD Elements) HDD. I created a restore disc and thought it couldn't hurt to check it out prior to removing the raid array. Well instead of a full 1TB drive is showed me 2 x 500GB drives, I checked one and then I got the error message about not having enough room to restore, so I clicked cancel. It rebooted and somewhere in this process something happened to the first disk in the array, it's no longer registering as a member of the array. So I can't boot into WinXP and my pc's basically been rendered useless, although I still have an entire image which was <300GB, it seems I can't use it. Ok I've read that I can't restore an image of say a 1TB drive to a 500GB drive unless I resize the original partition prior to imaging the drive. I guess I should have looked for help prior to actually needing it. So I guess my question is is there a way to edit an image's partition size after it's been created to fit it on a smaller drive? I just don't understand why it NEEDS the full 1TB when the used space was <300GB, it seems to me that if it's possible for Reflect to take a smaller image and make it larger that it could take a larger image and make it smaller, down to the used size, and then larger again, up to the destination disk's size.

Nick

United Kingdom
6100 Posts

Posted - March 14 2009 :  15:57:18  Show Profile
Hi
quote:
Well instead of a full 1TB drive is showed me 2 x 500GB drives

The Linux rescue CD doesn't support RAID. Please create a Windows PE 2.0 CD which does.
quote:
It rebooted and somewhere in this process something happened to the first disk in the array, it's no longer registering as a member of the array.

Hmmmm...If you couldn't continue with the restotre then *no* updates were made to your disk. Did you make any BIOS chages?
quote:
So I guess my question is is there a way to edit an image's partition size after it's been created to fit it on a smaller drive? I just don't understand why it NEEDS the full 1TB when the used space was <300GB, it seems to me that if it's possible for Reflect to take a smaller image and make it larger that it could take a larger image and make it smaller, down to the used size, and then larger again, up to the destination disk's size.

A disk image is an exact representation of the sectors on your disk. It doesn't just contain the data it also contains the entire structure of your disk. Your file system may scatter your data across your disk; in fact NTFS puts meta data in the middle of your partition. When you restore a disk image you put *everything* back where it was. If you have a 100GB disk the NTFS metadata is always at an offset of 50GB from the beginning of the disk. When you restore this is put back at an offset of 50GB. This is obviously impossible if your disk is smaller than 50GB. It is also quite possible that data is scattered at the end of your disk, for this reason you cannot restore a disk image to a disk that is smaller than the original I'm afraid.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

tsaebeht
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - March 14 2009 :  18:12:24  Show Profile
Yeah I read this this after I posted, http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=852 , so I understand it a little better now but none of this helps me in this dilemma. No I didn't change any settings in the bios I just clicked cancel as I stated. So there's nothing that can be done about this? I mean other than purchasing the same software that got me into this situation or buy a 1TB drive.

If and when you add "the ability to restore to a smaller harddrive than the image was crteated from" will I be able use the image I have already created?

If I can use the image already created then it all depends on the linux restore disc and if so is there a way I can mount the image in linux/ubuntu?

If there is a way to mount said image in linux/ubuntu, or WinXP for that matter, and is there a way to edit the image, to possibly change the partition tables to a smaller size?

If not, if the said ability is in alpha/beta stage could I please be a guinea pig because I pretty much out of luck anyway?

Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6100 Posts

Posted - March 15 2009 :  07:54:15  Show Profile
quote:
No I didn't change any settings in the bios I just clicked cancel as I stated. So there's nothing that can be done about this? I mean other than purchasing the same software that got me into this situation or buy a 1TB drive.

The Rescue CD doesn't write to your disk until after you click finish and start a restore. Prior to this your disk is mounted read only and can't have made any changes to your disk.

Check your BIOS to make sure it is correctly setup for your RAID configuration.

Check your BIOS for the correct boot order/sequence.

If you have access to an XP PC you can build a BartPE rescue CD and add the RAID drivers for your RAID controller.

http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/09/22/HowToCreateABartPERescueCDForMacriumReflect.aspx
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/help/english/drivers.htm
quote:
If and when you add "the ability to restore to a smaller harddrive than the image was created from" will I be able use the image I have already created?

Yes. Reflect will be fully backwards compatible with images created with earlier version.
quote:
If I can use the image already created then it all depends on the linux restore disc and if so is there a way I can mount the image in linux/ubuntu?

I'm afraid you can only mount images using the BartPE and Windows PE 2.0 rescue CD.
quote:
If there is a way to mount said image in linux/ubuntu, or WinXP for that matter, and is there a way to edit the image, to possibly change the partition tables to a smaller size?

I'm afraid images are mounted read only.
quote:
If not, if the said ability is in alpha/beta stage could I please be a guinea pig because I pretty much out of luck anyway?

We will let you know when a beta is available.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited by - Nick on March 15 2009 11:01:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000