Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CasualObserver
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - April 04 2009 :  17:25:22  Show Profile
Hi,

I just purchased the full version of Macrium Reflect last night. Installed it on a Windows XP 32bit SP3 machine. I am able to backup the boot hard drive fine.

I am getting a "MFT corrupt - Error code = 6. Please run chkdsk /f" when I try to backup another volume on the same system.

Background on this volume: It is running off of an Adaptec 5805 SAS/SATA controller and the volume is a RAID 6 array comprised of five 1TB hard drives.

The array is partitioned into two volumes:
Volume 1: 500GB in size, Type: Primary partition, basic volume.
Volume 2: 2300GB in size, Type: Primary partition, basic volume.

The large 2300GB volume is being backed up by nightly file syncronization routines and will not be backed up by Macrium due to the size and that the files on it are mostly static media files.

The small 500GB volume is the one that I need to backup with Macrium. It is used for remote backups for my clients and has many daily changes. It also has a large number of files on it. At current there are 1.45 million files on it which take up 257GB of space.

I have flagged both volumes of the array for chkdsk upon reboot with the fix all errors options checked. They both ran chkdsk fine and came back clean (I was watching as it ran on both). I have also ran the array verification utility for the Adaptec controller and that came back clean.

Any ideas what is causing this and how I can fix it?

Macrium version is: Complete edition (32-bit) 4.2 Build no. 2055

Thanks!

Nick

United Kingdom
6001 Posts

Posted - April 04 2009 :  18:16:08  Show Profile
Hi

Thank you for the detailed explanation of your problem.

Prior to creating an image Reflect performs a file system check to make sure that every file on the volume has its used clusters flagged as used in the NTFS $Bitmap file ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Metafiles ). "MFT corrupt - Error code = 6" is triggered if a file cluster isn't marked as used in the $Bitmap. This would cause the file to be incomplete in the backup image. This situation is usually corrected by running 'chkdsk' which corrects the $Bitmap.

Can you defrag the volume to see if this corrects the problem?

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

CasualObserver
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - April 04 2009 :  18:27:02  Show Profile
Windows XP built in defag is fine for this? I know it doesnt do the best job by far.
Go to Top of Page

SteveB

United Kingdom
372 Posts

Posted - April 04 2009 :  18:31:14  Show Profile
Hi

Do you have any unused space on the RAID array that you could create a 3rd volume, put just a few files on and then image with Macrium Reflect?

Hope this helps

Steve - Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6001 Posts

Posted - April 04 2009 :  18:36:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CasualObserver

Windows XP built in defag is fine for this? I know it doesnt do the best job by far.

Yes, XP defrag will be fine.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited by - Nick on April 04 2009 18:38:27
Go to Top of Page

CasualObserver
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - April 04 2009 :  21:20:10  Show Profile
In reply to Steve:

No, at this time the array has all available capacity used. If nothing else works, I might try a utility to resize the large partition and test as you requested.

I turned off the precheck for disks and it allowed me to do a partition image and verified fine. I won;t trust that in case certain files didn't backup properly though.

I am in middle of running the defrag. It appears that it will not be done until tonight tomorrow. I will test again after it finishes and let you know the result.
Go to Top of Page

CasualObserver
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - April 06 2009 :  00:09:37  Show Profile
Not sure what is going on at this point.

Windows sees both volumes on the array fine. Chkdsk runs fine on both with no errors in DOS or windows.

Macrium seems to back up and verify fine if I turn off the disk checking at the start.

However....I tried three different partition utilities. Two from CD boot disks and one from inside windows. They all either show partition errors, or show the full array size with unused space and smaller partitions in place. One of the programs showed the array as being exactly half size and empty. One other showed the array half size and both partitions half the normal size. None of them read the array correctly.

Windows, all normal programs act fine on the arrays and they pass all disk checks. I originally used Windows XP disk manager to format and partition them. It has always showed the full disk capcity for the array.

Any ideas? Will the backups be fine if I run Macrium without the pre-disk check?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

CasualObserver
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - April 06 2009 :  00:11:04  Show Profile
Sorry, I forgot to add that the defragmentation completed fine. However, I still receive the same error from the Macrium disk check.
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6001 Posts

Posted - April 06 2009 :  08:30:55  Show Profile
Hi
quote:
Any ideas? Will the backups be fine if I run Macrium without the pre-disk check?

I'm not sure what is wrong. Create a disk image without the pre-disk check, mount the image in Windows Explorer then run 'chkdsk' on the mounted image. If chkdsk is OK then the image should be OK. You might want to run a file compare utility between the mounted image and the original to confirm this.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

CasualObserver
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - April 06 2009 :  19:40:29  Show Profile
I can mount the images from my start-up volume fine.

If I try to mount images from the array volume I get disk errors and the mounted drive letter says it is unrrecognized and shows a disk size of zero. So I am guessing those backups are bad, even though they verify fine in Macrium. disturbing that Macrium verifies the images fine though.

Contacting Adaptec next to see if they have any ideas. Want the RAID-6 for redundancy on these client files.
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6001 Posts

Posted - April 06 2009 :  20:08:29  Show Profile
Hi

Your partition may be corrupt.

1. Copy your files off the Volume.
2. Delete the partition in disk manager.
3. Create a new partition.
3. Format it.
4. Copy your files back.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000