Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CraigM
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - April 23 2009 :  13:26:06  Show Profile
Hi,

Goal: Replace Drive C with new one and retain old drive as storage after reformatting

System: Dell XPS420, Vista Home, 500GB drive (replacing with 650GB)

Steps Taken: Created 2 partitions on the new drive, sucessfully created disk image of drive C: in the second partition to be restored to the first (enough room for both tasks).

Problem: Created rescue CD, changed BIOS to boot from CD but it would not boot. All I get is ISOLINUX 3.07, date and copyright info line and a flashing cursor. Made another CD with Compatibility Mode checked, still would not boot. What to do?

Another question - can I leave my old boot drive in the computer after I have physically swapped it with the new drive so I can reformat it to use for storage? I read in a thread here that that would not work.

Thanks.

SteveB

United Kingdom
372 Posts

Posted - April 23 2009 :  15:51:50  Show Profile
Hi

It may be the drivers in Linux and your hardware.

There are 3 types of disk you can create to recover your backups, either Linux, BartPE or Windows PE 2.0 (Vista).
The Windows PE 2.0 (Vista) version is the most hardware compatible recovery CD option.

BartPE Rescue CD is for Windows XP only.

If you purchase Macrium Reflect Full Edition you can download the Macrium Reflect Windows PE recovery CD. This version has the best recovery CD option.

All purchases from us come with an unconditional guarantee. If you are not satisfied with one of our software products, contact us within 30 days for instructions on obtaining a refund.

Booting a system with 2 identical drives can be a problem confusing Windows. Most drive manufacturers provide bootable software utilities to format their drives.

Hope this helps

Steve - Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page

Merlin
Advanced Member

820 Posts

Posted - April 23 2009 :  16:26:20  Show Profile
I would try a BartPE disk if the linux disk isn't working.
If you don't have an XP system to create one, your only other choice is the WinPE 2.0 disk with the licensed version.
I would remove the old disk while restoring to the new one and boot to that disk first.
Then shut down, and put the old disk in as a second drive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000