Macrium Support Forum

This forum is for Version 5 of Macrium Reflect.
Version 6 users should join our new forum here.

Version 5 support expired on 17 February 2016.

Find out more
Macrium Support Forum
Macrium Support Forum    RSS 2.0  RSS Feed      KB
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Reflect v5
 Community
 Upgrade price for v5 to v6
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SugarCrisp
Regular Poster

85 Posts

Posted - March 25 2015 :  19:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A week ago I got the email to upgrade my multiple licenses of version 5.x to 6.0 at a cost of almost $100.00 (CDN). I find Macrium to be good and reliable but I was hoping for around a limited promotion upgrade for around $50.00(CDN).

Drac144
Advanced Member

USA
647 Posts

Posted - March 26 2015 :  20:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the upgrade represents a 50% discount (there were coupons available but don't know if they are still available - the one I used expired on 2/28).

Bottom line, Macrium needs a certain level of income to stay in business. They can charge you less but upgrade every year or charge a little more and upgrade every 3 years. Either way, it is going to cost about the same to stay current.
Go to Top of Page

household
Starting Member

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - March 31 2015 :  15:10:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the email about the v.6 upgrade as well, so I submitted my registration code in order to know the price in my case.

I cannot say I was extremely happy to find out that I should pay 75.95 euros to upgrade my Household Home v.5 license package, which I paid 70.44 euros at the end of August 2014.
The original price was discounted thanks to a coupon I found on the Internet, but still that was the price I paid for MR5. Doubling it after a mere seven months does not seem a good idea to my wallet! even though I love MR and must say I am tempted by the SSD trim new feature in v.6 as I own an SSD drive.
So, maybe I'll upgrade eventually, but I was hoping for a better price for recently bought v.5 licenses like mine.

Edited by - household on March 31 2015 16:51:16
Go to Top of Page

Seekforever
Advanced Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - March 31 2015 :  16:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe somebody can enlighten me about the virtues of TRIM in Reflect 6. Windows 7 and 8 include TRIM support and it should be enabled by default but you can check if it is enabled.

At a administrator command prompt enter: fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
If the value is 0, TRIM is enabled and operational.

Edited by - Seekforever on March 31 2015 16:45:12
Go to Top of Page

household
Starting Member

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - March 31 2015 :  16:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An article in Macrium KB says:
SSD Trim support
This features provides automated SSD optimization resulting enhanced SSD performance and longevity. Writing to an unused block is much quicker than an in-use block as it avoids both the slow erase operation and the read-modify-write cycle. This results an increase of both the lifetime and the performance of the device. It is effective for all windows operating systems, even those that support SSD trim natively as the file system driver can only TRIM blocks on de-allocation; it cannot TRIM blocks written by another process. It is also effective for USB attached SSDs.

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/New+in+Version+6
Go to Top of Page

Seekforever
Advanced Member

Canada
640 Posts

Posted - March 31 2015 :  18:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll go along with that.

Not a big deal for me since all my backup drives are mechanical - will change when large SSDs get down in price though.
Go to Top of Page

Drac144
Advanced Member

USA
647 Posts

Posted - March 31 2015 :  19:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Seekforever - all my backup drives are mechanical. Not only is using an SSD to hold backups a waste of money but it degrades the SSD operation faster than if the SSD was used for normal files. The value of SSD's is to be able to read/write quickly. I hardly every use (read) a backup - they are mostly just written and erased/replaced with newer ones. Also, because they tend to be large files, they do not allow the SSD to efficiently spread a file out to cells that have not been used as often, so the drive is likely to fail sooner.
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer2004

Germany
11 Posts

Posted - April 06 2015 :  23:32:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Rapid Delta Restore / Clone is the biggest new feature in version 6. Decide if you need it or wait for the next version. The build-in partitioning feature (extend/shrink) is still very rudimentary and not user-friendly at all - in fact it's likely to produce unpredictable results.
Go to Top of Page

SugarCrisp
Regular Poster

85 Posts

Posted - April 21 2015 :  13:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I received an email for 25-50% off a Macrium version 6 license. Unfortunately, when I went to see how much using my serial number of a discount I was going to receive, hoping it would be anywhere between 40-50%, there was no discount period ?
Go to Top of Page

john.p

887 Posts

Posted - April 24 2015 :  08:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi SugarCrisp,

Could you send an email to sales@macrium.com referencing this post and we will investigate your upgrade options.

Many thanks.

Kind Regards
John - Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page

hankfoner

Israel
45 Posts

Posted - May 02 2015 :  18:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in exactly the same position as Household. Macrium are offering me a 40% reduction for a 4-pack bought at the end of August 2014. I actually only use 2 of the 4 licences so the upgrade price of $84 (US) is pretty steep for something that (for me) is only marginally better. I like Reflect a lot but a graduated upgrade price based on purchase date would have been fairer.

I tried using some reduction coupons from the Internet but they don't work. My questions are:

1. Does anyone know of reduction coupons that work NOW?
2. I seem to remember that occasionally Macrium sends out reduction offers. Does anybody know when? I can afford to wait!

Thanks, Hank
Go to Top of Page

household
Starting Member

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - May 03 2015 :  12:11:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part of the problem is that Macrium Reflect 5 is an extremely good product already! Bettering it isn't easy! :)
Also, it doesn't help if old customers receive "special offers" that are very similar to the prices anyone could get with discount coupons.

Anyways, I am still wondering if I should upgrade to v.6 and I might eventually do it!
Thinking of it, another "new" feature I am interested in is "Restore to different hardware", for instance restoring the disk image to another disk/PC (think! if the old one breaks down!) or to any virtual machine (not just as .vhd).
In v.5 the functionality was only available to pro users, now I understand it is available for standard licenses too! In other words, the "new" v.6 Home license is very similar to a Workstation license, the only difference being level of support, correct me if I am mistaken.
http://www.macrium.com/pages/comparisons.aspx

I think Macrium should put more emphasis on this, as you may not notice it if you just read the "what's new in V.6" page. Restoring to different hardware is not "new" in absolute terms as it existed in V.5 for some users, but it is jolly "new" for lots of Macrium Refelect users who did not have it! :)

On the other hand, I don't see Rapid Delta Restore as the strongest selling point for a disk imaging/backup software. You may backup everyday, but you only restore once in while, generally speaking. If you restore the disk once in a blue moon like me, it doesn't really matter if the restore process takes 30 minutes or 20.

Edited by - household on May 03 2015 13:26:05
Go to Top of Page

hankfoner

Israel
45 Posts

Posted - May 03 2015 :  15:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re Household's reply.

I could not have put it better myself!! I think the "restore to a different configuration" is actually the only reason I have for upgrading - and I will also probably do it some time. I don't mind paying but I am still waiting to hear from someone about how to get the price down!

As someone said in the forum, Macrium do have to make a living, and it must get progressively harder to improve good programs of this sort. The support,from both MR and the forum, is excellent too and well worth paying for. I wonder if MR stick strictly to their policy of 1 year's support only?

I do have the impression that MR are positioning themselves for the commercial market and are less interested in private customers. And, of course, they may be perfectly justified in this from the commercial point of view.
Go to Top of Page

Drac144
Advanced Member

USA
647 Posts

Posted - May 03 2015 :  18:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is simple economics. A good product with good service requires money to support and improve. Unfortunately Reflect's market share is not large enough (I assume) to support these efforts based only on new sales or small charges for upgrades.

If most Reflect users convinced just 2 or 3 others to purchase Reflect, I believe the price of upgrades would fall significantly. This is a chance to do a good deed for others and get benefit for yourself as well.

No, I have NO affiliation with Macrium.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.4 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000