Macrium Support Forum

This forum is for Version 5 of Macrium Reflect.
Version 6 users should join our new forum here.

Version 5 support expired on 17 February 2016.

Find out more
Macrium Support Forum
Macrium Support Forum    RSS 2.0  RSS Feed      KB
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Reflect v5
 Disk Imaging
 Restoring folders from an image
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clairvaux

France
17 Posts

Posted - December 29 2015 :  02:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm trying to restore all my data from an image. However, I want to pick and chose among folders.

1. Do I understand correctly that I get no help from Macrium, unless I have a specific folder-and-files backup, which I don't ? Is it correct that the sole way is to mount the image, then use Windows copy and paste ?

2. While doing that, I tried to use TeraCopy, then RichCopy, in order to avoid the usual weaknesses of Windows copy and paste on big transfers (slowness, lack of verification and unreliability). It seems that they can't handle a mounted image. Is that expected behaviour, and is there a workaround ? Would another bulk copy software be appropriate ?

3. Using the folder-and-files backup restore mechanism, is Macrium better than Windows on speed, and does it provide integrity check ?

Thank you.

Drac144
Advanced Member

USA
647 Posts

Posted - December 29 2015 :  21:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not know why you would not get help from Macrium on how to copy files and folders from a mounted disk image backup. That is a normal and supported feature of Reflect.

I mounted an image and used Teracopy to move files to another drive from that mounted image. No problems! Not sure what you are doing or why you think Teracopy cannot handle a mounted image. Note that I did the test using Reflect V6, but don't think the results would be any different for Version 5.

Reflect provides a MUCH better integrity check than Windows and it is very fast, though I have never compared the two for speed.

Edited by - Drac144 on December 29 2015 21:10:46
Go to Top of Page

Clairvaux

France
17 Posts

Posted - December 30 2015 :  01:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Drac144,

Thanks for replying. Let me clarify.

When I say help, I mean some sort of function or wizard of Macrium that would do the actual restoration (and, crucially, check file integrity), instead of leaving the task to Windows. What help did you get from Macrium for that ? Where did you find it ?

Macrium Reflect v.6 manual seems to say there is none. (I checked v.6 manual rather than v.5 help, because the latter's user interface is steam-engine based, and I figured a feature lacking from v.6 wouldn't be in v.5 anyway.)

It says on page 188 (can't get the link to work) :

quote:
By mounting image files in Windows Explorer you can browse or explore an image and access all the files in a backup. The backed up data appears as a temporary drive in Windows Explorer that you can access, just like any other drive, mounted with its own drive letter. Individual Files and Folders can easily be recovered by using Copy and Paste.

If you have a File and Folder backup (not image backup) Macrium Reflect also has a File and Folder wizard to restore selected files and/or folders.

That's the sort of thing I'm looking for :

http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/download/attachments/3276966/image2015-1-13%2011%3A20%3A54.png?version=1&modificationDate=1448274574000&api=v2&effects=drop-shadow

I tried again to copy folders with TeraCopy from another mounted image, and this time, it worked ! However, it still does not work with my other image, and it's the one I need to restore from.

What happens is either :

- I drag the folder on TeraCopy dialog box, and nothing happens.

- Or I right-click on the folder, invoke the TeraCopy command, and a single item gets written in the dialog box : the top folder. If I then click on Copy, several items appear, all with error warnings, and it stops there.

However, Windows Copy and Paste still works on that image.

Very strange. Any ideas ?
Go to Top of Page

Drac144
Advanced Member

USA
647 Posts

Posted - December 31 2015 :  00:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Teracopy installed so it shows up in the drag and drop context menu. When I highlight some files or folder in a file manager and drag them to a different drive/folder holding the RIGHT mouse button down, It lets me choose to copy or move AND whether to use Teracopy or Windows to do the transfer. I never open Teracopy to use it.

No, Reflect does not have the help you are looking for. Reflect can make backups and restores in either image or file/folder formats. The ability to backup an image and then mount it and access files/folders is a feature that does NOT provide secure file integrity testing. If you use the file/folder backup and restore provided within Reflect (NOT mounting in WE) then there is a lot of error checking and integrity verification.

All I can suggest is that you restore the entire image of the partition and then make a file/folder backup of the desired files and then restore those to the system you are trying to update. If you do not have a drive that can allow for that intermediate operation, then I can't help.

I cannot answer why Macrium does not supply an application to do what you want, but as far as I know, it doesn't.
Go to Top of Page

Clairvaux

France
17 Posts

Posted - December 31 2015 :  15:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drac144

All I can suggest is that you restore the entire image of the partition and then make a file/folder backup of the desired files and then restore those to the system you are trying to update.

Thanks, Drac144. You solution is so obvious and elegant I could kick myself not to have thought of it. I'll check whether I have enough space available to apply it.

However, I'd be glad if someone could provide suggestions as to why some of my images work with TeraCopy, while some others don't.

I verified again with Macrium one of the TeraCopy-reluctant images, and it's OK.

I also tried your method of using TeraCopy without opening it, to no avail.

I tried copying under a Windows user account with administrator rights, as well as from a non-admin account.

I tried to run TeraCopy as an administrator, as well as by default.

Could there be some permission issues ? I checked both "Enable access to restricted folders" and "Make writable" options when mounting the images.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000