Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gazzawazza
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - July 27 2009 :  15:01:37  Show Profile
Hi...

I've just downloaded Macrium Reflect (free edition), because I want to back up my system HD and have been concerned about issues with the big backup players, namely Acronis and Ghost. Also, I wanted to try the free version before paying for the full version.

I'm running version 4.2.2055 on Vista Home Premium SP2 32bit.

However, I'm having problems:

I can't create the boot CD and get it to work. I've tried both Macrium's internal burning software and 3rd party software (ImgBurner 2.5).

I've tried the normal Linux CD, as well as the compatibility version too. One just boots to a blank screen (after a couple of lines of text), while the compatibility version generates a screenful of text, then hangs.

As you can imagine, it is hardly reassuring for a potential customer to put his faith in your software when I can't even create a bootdisk that works.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Gary

SteveB

United Kingdom
372 Posts

Posted - July 27 2009 :  15:26:18  Show Profile
Hi

There are 3 types of disk you can create to recover your backups, either Linux, BartPE or Windows PE 2.0 (Vista based but can restore XP, Vista, etc).
The Linux and BART PE are available with the Free and Full Edition (30 day Trial Version).
If you purchase Macrium Reflect Full Edition you can download the Macrium Reflect Windows PE 2.0 (Vista) version recovery CD which is the best recovery CD option because it is the most hardware compatible.
The Windows PE 2.0 (Vista) is based on the Windows PE 2.0 environment ie the Windows Vista installation environment and supports more hardware etc ie RAID. You can only download this once so please backup your download up.
We are confident you will have no problems with this and offer 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - All purchases from us come with an unconditional guarantee. If you are not satisfied with one of our software products, contact us within 30 days for instructions on obtaining a refund.

see How to recover your PC using the Linux rescue CD - Part I
http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/06/21/HowToRecoverYourPCUsingTheLinuxRescueCDPartI.aspx

BartPE Rescue CD is for Windows XP only.
How to create a BartPE Rescue CD for Macrium Reflect
see http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/09/22/HowToCreateABartPERescueCDForMacriumReflect.aspx

Macrium Reflect Windows PE 2.0 (Vista) version recovery CD.
see http://www.macrium.com/webhelp/Windows_PE_Rescue_Environment.asp?nohead=y

Hope this helps

Steve - Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page

gazzawazza
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - July 27 2009 :  23:03:10  Show Profile
Thanks for the response, Steve.

Have just bought a full version - I really hope this software works ok.
Go to Top of Page

Vita

USA
20 Posts

Posted - August 28 2009 :  05:38:30  Show Profile
I have Windows XP (SP3) that is updated and I get the blank screen with just a line of text across the top? It just hangs...any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

Vita

USA
20 Posts

Posted - August 28 2009 :  05:41:28  Show Profile
Almost forgot...it's 32 bit if it makes a difference? It shouldn't matter but I thought I would add it.
Go to Top of Page

Vita

USA
20 Posts

Posted - August 28 2009 :  05:47:02  Show Profile
My monitor is connected via dvi. I am seeing text across the top...a guys name and some years are listed...that's it.
Go to Top of Page

Vita

USA
20 Posts

Posted - August 28 2009 :  06:05:19  Show Profile
FYI: I burned the disc in "compatibility mode". I tried to make a Bart's PE disc, but I only have one cd drive. I have created Linux rescue cd's for 2 other computers and they worked fine? This computer is less than a month old...grasping at straws now...lol.
Go to Top of Page

Vita

USA
20 Posts

Posted - August 28 2009 :  14:03:09  Show Profile
Update...just tried the very same Linux rescue cd that was created in my new computer (& failed to boot my new computer) in my old computer and it worked just fine? Can someone please explain this to me? This test confirms that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the rescue cd.
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
5822 Posts

Posted - August 28 2009 :  14:15:26  Show Profile
The Linux rescue CD isn't compatible with your PC. It may be the motherboard chip-set.

Please read Steve's post in this thread for your other options.

Note: The Windows PE 2.0 rescue CD supports restoring XP as well as Vista.

We regularly update the Linux CD and a new one will be available in the next few days. This may well be compatible with your PC.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000