Macrium Support Forum

This forum is for Version 5 of Macrium Reflect.
Version 6 users should join our new forum here.

Version 5 support expired on 17 February 2016.

Find out more
Macrium Support Forum
Macrium Support Forum    RSS 2.0  RSS Feed      KB
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Reflect v4
 Wish List
 Exclude files from Disk Image
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Olray

13 Posts

Posted - October 04 2009 :  12:37:25  Show Profile
The "Intelligent Sector Copy" excludes the pagefile from disk images. I'd love to have an option to exclude user defined files from the Backup.

Background: I have encrypted TrueCrypt container files which keep user profiles and all temporary data. They're in a different backup strategy, yet they're included in the backup. After restoring the backup partition these are the first to become deleted. 8 GB wasted for every full backup.

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - October 06 2009 :  11:05:17  Show Profile
Thanks for your comments.

This feature will be included in a future release.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

kewlbreez
Regular Poster

50 Posts

Posted - November 04 2009 :  21:47:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nick

Thanks for your comments.

This feature will be included in a future release.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

If I can chime in with a suggestion. I'm not sure if it is technically possible, but if so, I'd like to see the ability to exclude a folder tree from the image backup as a unit. IOW, I've used other image backup software that lets you exclude files. It works great if you exclude a few large files such as .iso disc images. But if you have a folder tree with hundreds of little files it ticks them off one by one. A 20 minute image backup operation becomes a four hour ordeal because 3 hours and 40 minutes is spent listing which files are not going to be in the image. It makes the feature next to unusable.
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - November 06 2009 :  12:48:22  Show Profile
Hi kewlbreez

Thanks for your comments

We are adding an option to exclude folder branches as well as files from images.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

kewlbreez
Regular Poster

50 Posts

Posted - November 07 2009 :  19:07:49  Show Profile
quote:

Hi kewlbreez

Thanks for your comments

We are adding an option to exclude folder branches as well as files from images.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Sounds great. I look forward to trying it. :)
Go to Top of Page

Juergen Holtkamp
Starting Member

Germany
5 Posts

Posted - November 08 2009 :  22:17:55  Show Profile
Weird, both the pagefile and hiberfile are included in every backup with "intelligent sector copy" enabled. Never noticed it until I mounted the last image.

Running W7 X64.
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - November 09 2009 :  10:32:18  Show Profile
Hi

'pagefile.sys' and 'hiberfil.sys' take up zero space in the image file, only the directory entries exist for them.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

gippledocks
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - November 21 2009 :  11:01:35  Show Profile
I too would like to subscribe to the request for the ability to exclude a set of files and folders from full, incremental and differential backups.

For me the value would be in excluding temporary files (browser cache, Windows temp, etc) that I would never need to restore.

Looking at my current daily differentials I can see that much of their size (and presumably Reflect's run time) is in those browser caches, etc.

Regards

Go to Top of Page

kewlbreez
Regular Poster

50 Posts

Posted - November 21 2009 :  21:27:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gippledocks

I too would like to subscribe to the request for the ability to exclude a set of files and folders from full, incremental and differential backups.

For me the value would be in excluding temporary files (browser cache, Windows temp, etc) that I would never need to restore.

Looking at my current daily differentials I can see that much of their size (and presumably Reflect's run time) is in those browser caches, etc.

Regards

Depending how you exclude, you might end up with a bunch of "phantom" directory entries. Using another product, when I excluded all disc image files in my DVD folder, then did a restore, the entries for those image files would show, but the files aren't actually there. No big deal if you remember what you excluded as you can just delete. But if you have hundreds scattered around it could be a nightmare. Might be easier just to set your browser cache to be deleted on browser close, and use something like CCleaner to clean out your temp directories and cookies before doing a backup.

Also I usually either turn System Restore off temporarily, or use CCleaner to delete all but one Restore Point to reduce the size of the backup.
Go to Top of Page

marcodes
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - April 12 2010 :  21:09:38  Show Profile
quote:

Hi kewlbreez

Thanks for your comments

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

When this option will be available?
Can you give us an ETA for this new feature?
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - April 13 2010 :  10:07:05  Show Profile
Hi

Thanks for contacting us. I'm afraid we don't have a release date for this functionality yet.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Jerra

41 Posts

Posted - May 19 2010 :  23:45:18  Show Profile
You promised it back in october. How hard can it be to add thie feature, if you had 8 month to work on it?
Go to Top of Page

Dinny

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - May 31 2010 :  14:35:58  Show Profile
Yep, I could sure use that facility of excluding a folder or a max of 2 folders.

----------------
thank you.
Dinny
Go to Top of Page

joshuab
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - June 10 2010 :  22:43:25  Show Profile
I would like this also - image backup with exclude option.
Go to Top of Page

Jerra

41 Posts

Posted - June 11 2010 :  20:22:11  Show Profile
Nick, please don't treat us like that.
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - June 13 2010 :  19:10:49  Show Profile
Hi

Removing files and folders from a VSS snapshot isn't something that we are implementing.

There is a Microsoft 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer' that will remove files from a snapshot, but it won't do this reliably. The problem is that the time allowed for the snapshot creation is critical and if files cannot be deleted in time during the post-snapshot phase then they will not be removed and the snapshot may fail. Also, this writer is not available with XP or Server 2003.

Disk imaging is a volume level process and we feel that removing files from an image isn't an appropriate operation. If you wish to use the optimization writer then you can do so by editing a registry entry here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshotMacriumImage

If this entry doesn't exist then create a new 'Multi-String' value and enter the paths of the files you want to exclude.

Note: This is not supported by us and you must be running Vista, Windows or Server 2008.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 10.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000