Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jgcraig
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  20:42:49  Show Profile
I first created a Linux disc using the trial version. I got a one-line message "ISOLINUX 3.07 ...", but nothing further. I then decided to go ahead and purchase the full version, and created a Windows PE 2.0 disc. Changed the boot order, turned off the system, inserted the CD, got the message "Press any key to boot from CD", pressed a key, but nothing further happened. Using Windows 7, 64 bit on a Dell XPS420. Further info - added the boot menu option and it appears to work correctly from there - didn't actually restore anything but was able to explore the backed up disk.

Edited by - jgcraig on May 15 2010 22:42:37

Marcos Lillo G
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - May 15 2010 :  22:58:05  Show Profile
I have a similar problem. When I use WinPE (in CD or in the boot menu), windows starts, Macrium Reflect loads, but then in stall in the pass "looking for plug-&-play devices..." or something like that. I read about another user that pressing the Esc key, he resume the program (excuse my english, i'm from Venezuela and don't speak english), but this don't function for me. I try'ed to create a Linux CD in compatibility mode, but it prompts two lines while load Linux, then the monitor goes black and nothing else happends, and I must restart the PC. I was using the free edition, and purchase the full edition in the believe that the WinPE option would solve my problem, but I have no luck.
Windows 7 64 bits, ASUS P5QL-E motherboard (last BIOS), 8 Gigs RAM, Core2 Quad.
Go to Top of Page

M.Castaldo

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  11:06:26  Show Profile
Hi,

Can you both try burning another CD as it could be the media that you are both using, you might also want to try burning the CD at a lower speed to see if that helps. I have seen burning speed have an effect on the quality of the CD.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Martin - Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6001 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  11:21:15  Show Profile
Hi

Can you also make sure you are running latest version of Windows PE (v2.1.2536). If not click the 'Updates' button in the CD burn Wizard.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

jgcraig
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  20:36:39  Show Profile
Success! Set burning speed in Windows Media Player to slowest and burned a new CD (actually used a rewriteable CD) and it worked OK. I thought I had a new problem as it did not show my external USB disk on my network, but using the PE Explorer I was able to map the external disk and access it OK. The next step will be to do an actual restore which I will do when I have more time. Thanks for the help. By the way, I am using the latest release of both the Macrium Reflect software and the Windows PE software.
Go to Top of Page

Cathbad

USA
12 Posts

Posted - May 16 2010 :  21:11:29  Show Profile
I'm new to Macrium. I am running Win 7/64bit. I immediately got the PE 2 download. But I found it impossible to create a CD or DVD. I have 3 CD/DVD devices. Two are internal and the third is external eSata and does BluRay. I couldn't get it to create the disk on any of the the 3 devices using Verbatim CD-R and Verbatim DVD+R DL.
I created the ISO and burned the disk using that. That disk looks OK.
I haven't tried to use it yet.

I also tried to add the Recovery Boot Menu item. It seemed to work, but it ran and ran and ran forever. Eventually I killed it.
I haven't looked to see if it is there.

Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6001 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  18:19:57  Show Profile
Hi

Sorry you are having problems.
quote:
I created the ISO and burned the disk using that. That disk looks OK.
I haven't tried to use it yet.

Have you had a chance to try the CD that you burnt?

If the screen still hangs on 'searching for plug and play devices' then there may be an issue detecting a USB device attached to your PC. Can you make sure you've unplugged any attached devices to isolate the problem.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Cathbad

USA
12 Posts

Posted - May 17 2010 :  23:55:54  Show Profile
I will try it, but it will take another day or so. I'm trying to download a very large file from France and it is a mess. I can't shut off the computer until I get this monster. Once I get it I will try the disk and let you know.
Go to Top of Page

Cathbad

USA
12 Posts

Posted - May 18 2010 :  15:32:46  Show Profile
I tried the disk and it seems to be fine. The important thing was that it recognized the external eSata drives which are where the backups are.
I created the disk using a program called PowerIso. I don't use it often but it does work when I need it.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Newbie
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - June 15 2010 :  20:42:59  Show Profile
A rescue CD was created successfully (i think) using Freebie product but the laptop will not boot from it (BIOS is set to boot first from CD). Any suggestions ? Thanx.

Bob
Palm Bay, FL
Go to Top of Page

M.Castaldo

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - June 15 2010 :  22:33:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Newbie

A rescue CD was created successfully (i think) using Freebie product but the laptop will not boot from it (BIOS is set to boot first from CD). Any suggestions ? Thanx.

Bob
Palm Bay, FL

Hi Bob,

What happens when you try to boot using the rescue CD?

Regards,

Martin - Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page

Cathbad

USA
12 Posts

Posted - June 15 2010 :  22:54:19  Show Profile
Earlier in this topic I mentioned problems with the disk, but then said I had gotten right.
I did.
About a week ago I did a disastrous install (nothing to do with this program). I had to restore to the previous day. I put the disk in. It cheerfully showed me the backups on the 2 external disks. I picked the one I wanted and it did just what it was supposed to do.
I'm happy.
I also have found that this program does the backups faster than the previous program I used.
It's nice to write on a positive note.
javascript:insertsmilie('')
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.9 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000