Concerned about defragmenting image files
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NightBuddha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - July 23 2010 :  04:12:00  Show Profile
I have a 1 1/2 Gb external hard drive that is 3/4 full of Reflect images of other drives from the home network on a single NTFS partition. This drive has never before been defragmented, since before I got it I had read that image files should not be defragmented, although the reasons for this were not presented, so I do not know why... Today, I was using Auslogics Defrag on the computer's C: drive (Windows XP Pro), when I found that I had accidently started to defragment the drive with the Reflect Images. The Auslogics program reported the Reflect drive to be "100 % fragmented", and it had defragged 6% of the Reflect drive when I discovered the operation in progress and canceled it.

Previously, all the images had been sucessfully validated with Reflect, so I know that they were good. Would this partial defragmentation be likely to have damaged the images so that they could not be restored? Is it correct that the images should never be defragmented? I do not want to take the time to go back and revalidate these many image files, some quite large, if I can avoid it.

By the way, I am able to image and restore from any internal or external hard drive that is local to the machine running Reflect, but Reflect will never see any hard drives on other networked nodes, so I can't image from them or restore to them unless I remove the external Hard drive from its Network Host and plug it into the machine that is running Reflect. How should I go about trying to enable this functionality? This would make Reflect work even better for me.

PS- I have also read that video files, like .mp4s and .wmvs should not be defragged either-- is that true? Why?

Thank You!

Best,
NightBuddha

Nick

United Kingdom
6132 Posts

Posted - July 23 2010 :  17:00:19  Show Profile
Hi NightBuddha

De-fragmenting a file system is non-destructive and should have no affect on the validity of you image or any other files.

If you have any doubts then take the 'Other Tasks' > 'Verify' option to check the files.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

NightBuddha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - July 23 2010 :  17:21:55  Show Profile
Hello Nick-
Thank you for your reply. I will, perhaps, spot check a few of the images and call it a night.

Do you recommend that Reflect images be defragmented from time to time, or are they best left alone?

Thank you.
Best,
NB
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000