Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stylonurus
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - September 16 2010 :  00:16:49  Show Profile
Currently I am evaluating your product with a single license. I am trying to create a bootable DVD of a target image that will be deployed to 200+ machines. If I can get this to work I understand that we would have to buy the licenses for these additional machines.

I am currently having a problem creating the bootable DVD that would deploy the image and I have been following knowledge base article 50053 very closely.

Basically these are the steps that I have taken.

I am trying to image a target machine which does not have a R/W dvd

1. I installed all three programs on my target machine (Disk Restore, Reflect, Windows PE)
2. I created a Windows PE rescue disk.
3. I uninstalled all 3 programs from my target machine.
4. I booted my target machine with the rescue CD.
5. I set the max image size to 4gb and saved the image to a USB thumb drive. (Two files were created sizes of 4gb and the second of 650mb) So I'll need a dual layer DVD.
6. I rebooted the target machine into Windows, and start disk restore. I selected the first imaged file on my usb drive, clicked restore, Selected Unattended mode
7. I then followed the steps in step 6 of the article. MY pestartup.ini file looks like this: (Actually it was renamed at some point to PEStartup2010-09-15-22-58-00.ini)

[COPY]
FILE1=diskrestore.exe
[RUN]
COMMAND=diskrestore "D:\Temp\B5FE85ED0308A6C3-00-00.mrimg" --password "" --sourceid 0F0D0F0D --targetid 0F0D0F0D -g -u --reboot
[OPTIONS]
runfromCD=1

8. After creating the C:\boot\Macrium\temp directory and moving the two .mrimg files there I now copy the whole c:\boot directory structure to my workstation which has a R/W DVD drive
9. From Macrium Reflect, I run the Windows Rescue CD program choosing to save my image to an .iso file ( which it calls rescue.iso having a size of approximately 4.9gb
10. I now create a bootable DVD using Roxio Creator Plus ( Build2.4.32a ) selecting the new .iso file from step 9.
When I boot the created dvd on a target machine I get the message: missing operating system

OR
9. From Macrium Reflect, I run the Windows Rescue CD program choosing to burn the image directly to the DVD. I then see the "Generating ISO file..." message dialog box
After creating the ISO file I get a dialog box which tells me Invalid media. The double layer dvd +R I placed in the drive is brand new. I tried two new disks, one from Memorex and another from Phillips both to no avail.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your response and help.

Nick

United Kingdom
6103 Posts

Posted - September 16 2010 :  08:50:31  Show Profile
Hi

Thanks for your post. Sorry you are having problems.

You need to make sure that the folder you created under '\boot\macrium' is 'temp', with a lower case 't'. This is because ISO 9660 uses the ASCII collating sequence and 'T' comes before 'a'. The boot files need to be in the first 4GB of the DVD.

You should also change --targetid 0F0D0F0D to --targetnum 0 if you are restoring to a different PC as the Disk ID will be different.

There is a problem with burning to DL DVDs that we will address in a future update but saving the .iso image and using Roxio will be fine.

Hope this helps

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited by - Nick on September 16 2010 11:19:01
Go to Top of Page

Stylonurus
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - September 16 2010 :  16:20:07  Show Profile
Nick,
If I had a quid () for every time I capitalized a letter when I should'nt have, I think I'd be a rich man by now. Nice catch and thanks for your quick reply.

I successfully deployed the ISO image to a DVD and booted it up on a target system. When I booted it up I saw the window title "Reflect PE Edition ...". From here I selected The Disk restore option, navigated myself to the image file in the /temp direcory and then followed the prompts to begin the image restore. And, it all worked.

I was wondering if Macrium has an automatic way of imaging a disk? That is booting up a target with a DVD which would automatically restore the image without any user input?

Thanks,

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6103 Posts

Posted - September 16 2010 :  17:04:13  Show Profile
Rick

Thanks for getting back.

The restore process should have been automatic. It seems that your 'PEStartup.ini' wasn't executed. Can you confirm whether you are running 32 or 64 bit Windows PE? If you are running 64 bit then you need to make the changes to 'PEStartupx64.ini' not 'PEStartup.ini'. This executes 'DiskRestorex64.exe' instead of 'DiskRestore.exe'.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Stylonurus
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - September 16 2010 :  18:26:06  Show Profile
Nick,
I am running the 32 bit version of Windows PE. I am going through the whole process again. Is it worth my while to update the 64bit .ini file anyway? In case I don't hear from you I'll post my status later today.

Thanks so much for your help,

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Stylonurus
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - September 17 2010 :  02:29:14  Show Profile
Nick,
I was able to successfully create a bootable DVD with automatic restore this morning. I'm not sure why it did not work the first time. I have compared the .ini files and they are the same. I did however, update the x64.ini files the last two times but I'm can't believe that had anything to do with my success since I am running the 32 bit version.

In any event, I still have two problems. The 200+ target machines that would be updated with this image do not have keyboards or mice attached to them (by default). They are medical device panel PC's.

The first thing I would need is to have the disk automatically boot up. There is no keyboard to use when the display says "Hit any key to boot from DVD"

The second thing is the checkbox and Continue button for the License accept dialog box. We need to have the install just start after the disk is placed into the target machine and then turned on.

The only other thing I would like to ask you at this time is a refernece for the command line for the diskrestore program.

If we can resolve these problems I think we are very close to have found a solution. I may have other requests down the road but for now these first two are the most pressing.

Thank you very much for your excellent support.

Rick

Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6103 Posts

Posted - September 17 2010 :  11:33:03  Show Profile
Hi Rick

Thanks for getting back.

1. To automatically boot into Windows PE without the 'Press any key...' prompt, delete or rename the following file and rebuild the DVD:

'c:\boot\macrium\boot\bootfix.bin'.

2. We will issue an update to Windows PE to suppress the license dialog for automatic restores in the next few days. In the meantime, if you copy the file 'c:\boot\macrium\boot\reflect.cfg' to folder '\boot' on any local drive on the target PC (could be a flash drive) , (e.g. e:\boot\reflect.cfg), then the license dialog should be suppressed.

To see the full command line options for Windows PE please see here:

http://www.macrium.com/KB/KnowledgebaseArticle50004.aspx

Hope this helps.

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited by - Nick on September 17 2010 11:39:42
Go to Top of Page

Stylonurus
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - September 17 2010 :  16:43:18  Show Profile
Nick,
This is excellent news! I appreciate it. I have already burned a DVD and it in fact is restoring a disk image as we speak. I am going to recommend that we purchase this product for our deployment purposes.

Having said that I still have a couple of questions for you.

1. One time the PEStartup.ini file was renamed to PEStartup2010-09-16-22-06-57.ini but the other three times I ran through the process the name was unchanged. Why is that?

2. Since you have showed me how to automatically start the restore process from the DVD, I must take out the --reboot option for obvious reasons. Is there any way that we can display a message at the end of the restore process. A message like.. 'Please remove disk before rebooting machine' Or even a way to send an automatic Eject command to the DVD drive.

Thanks

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6103 Posts

Posted - September 17 2010 :  18:59:12  Show Profile
Hi Rick

quote:
1. One time the PEStartup.ini file was renamed to PEStartup2010-09-16-22-06-57.ini but the other three times I ran through the process the name was unchanged. Why is that?

Local disks are searched for PEStartup.ini before the CD/DVD. This .ini file is renamed, using date and time, after loading to ensure that it isn't run again. If you load Windows PE on the same PC that created the DVD then PEStartup.ini will be renamed, however, if you complete a restore to the 'C' drive then the contents of 'c:\boot' will be replaced by the same folder in the image. Of course, it isn't possible to rename the file on the DVD.

quote:
2. Since you have showed me how to automatically start the restore process from the DVD, I must take out the --reboot option for obvious reasons. Is there any way that we can display a message at the end of the restore process. A message like.. 'Please remove disk before rebooting machine' Or even a way to send an automatic Eject command to the DVD drive.

Ejecting the DVD may not help as most (all) PCs will close the DVD tray on reboot. You could include 'c:\boot\macrium\PEStartup.ini' in the image and instead of loading DiskRestore.exe it loads a .bat file that echoes 'Please Remove the DVD' followed by a DOS PAUSE command. Include PEStartup.exe and your .bat file in the folder 'c:\boot\macrium\' as well and modify the .ini file to copy the .bat file and run it, then create your image.

Hope this helps

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Stylonurus
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - September 18 2010 :  00:25:04  Show Profile
Nick,

I now understand how I generated the PEStartup2010-09-16-22-06-57.ini file. Thanks for the explanation.

Also good call on my DVD eject idea. Currently our target does not close the tray on reboot. In fact it does not have a tray and in fact a eject sometimes can send a DVD rolling across the room but in the future we may change them out so it's a good call on your part not to do it this way.

Currently I have found that by removing the --reboot line from my PEStartup.ini file does nothing to stop it from rebooting. I tried it twice this morning and because I am somewhat stubborn tried it a third time with a completely new image capture. Here are the contents of my PEStartup.ini file

[COPY]
FILE1=diskrestore.exe
[RUN]
COMMAND=diskrestore "D:\temp\72022595DD51D1C6-00-00.mrimg" --password "" --sourceid 0F0D0F0D --targetnum 0 -g -u
[OPTIONS]
runfromCD=1

Unless I catch it right, currently my system is endlessly reimaging itself....
I really need to resolve this. It's very imortant.

I would also like to address your suggestion for running a batch file. When you say 'You could include c:\boot\macrium\PEStartup.ini in the image' you must mean when I create a bootable Rescue CD under Reflect which creates the .iso file. I think the word image can be confusing here. I am calling the image those files that are captured in the .mrimg files.

But the final "image" which incorporates the \boot directory structure to the .iso file I am calling the iso image. I hope that makes sense to you.

To reiterate, all the changes for the .bat file would be made in the \boot directory prior to making the iso image. Is this correct?

I hope you had a great weekend and thanks again for your support,

Rick
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6103 Posts

Posted - September 19 2010 :  17:42:20  Show Profile
Hi Rick

Thanks for getting back.

We'll send you a PM with a solution for your particular situation on Monday.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.71 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000