Imaging while using Rollback software
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

buckshee

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - December 31 2010 :  17:05:28  Show Profile
I have Rollback Rx installed which resides in the MBR (I assume). It takes snapshots of the computer from time to time. If I boot up in to Macrium during the startup and make a `forensic' image of the C drtive then the image captures the Rollback Rx boot and all its snapshots. When I do a restore RollbackRx is working fine. However if I do the same thing but in the Windows 7 environment when I do my restore and then reboot Rollback Rx does not come up during the boot. Is this logical. I used forensic backup in the Windows environment also. If you aren't familiar with RollbackRx you can see a description here...
http://www.horizondatasys.com/169620.ihtml

Graham

Nick

United Kingdom
6079 Posts

Posted - January 01 2011 :  21:57:28  Show Profile
Graham

If you create a 'clone' image every sector in the partition is imaged as well as the MBR and track 0 (the first 63 sectors). If RollbackRx uses disk sectors outside of the partition table, partition layout and track 0, then it isn't supported. The MBR boot code is only 440 bytes on the first sector and isn't enough to boot into RolbackRx. It probably uses sectors between the MBR and the first partition to maintain it's boot code and state. Windows Vista/7 aligns partitions on 2048 sectors whereas XP aligns partitions on disk track/cylinder boundaries, usually a 63 sector offset for the first partition.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited by - Nick on January 01 2011 21:58:07
Go to Top of Page

shemp
Regular Poster

USA
50 Posts

Posted - January 02 2011 :  00:09:08  Show Profile
Just my 2 cents worth.
I own license to both rollback rx and eaz-fix. Creating images(raw image, whatever you want to call it) outside the windows environment is the surest and safest way to go to capture all of your snapshots and be able to restore as it was.
There doesn't seem to be any other way around this.
There are many comments about this at Wilders Security Forum.
Hope this helps

Edited by - shemp on January 02 2011 00:14:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000