Macrium Support Forum

This forum is for Version 5 of Macrium Reflect.
Version 6 users should join our new forum here.

Version 5 support expired on 17 February 2016.

Find out more
Macrium Support Forum
Macrium Support Forum    RSS 2.0  RSS Feed      KB
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Reflect v5
 Disk Imaging
 HUGE disappointment!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emilemma
Frequent Poster

USA
181 Posts

Posted - July 06 2011 :  03:35:25  Show Profile
downloaded v5 trial, installed, created cd rescue media, and when using cd to restore image that i had created IT DIDN'T WORK....
followed all directions carefully...

how can this be let out to the market like this????

BIG, BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!!

will now be afraid to purchase upgrade...

Merlin
Advanced Member

852 Posts

Posted - July 06 2011 :  04:03:19  Show Profile
Was it the linux disk?
What do you mean by "It didn't work?"
What specifically happened?
Go to Top of Page

emilemma
Frequent Poster

USA
181 Posts

Posted - July 06 2011 :  04:32:18  Show Profile
yes, it was linux rescue cd.. i created it twice...when trying to restore from rescue cd, i went thru all steps to select image, etc. & when i clicked the 'next' or 'finish' button - whatever it was - screen went black and lot of linux gibberish was displayed and then system just hung...only way out was to power off and restart..

Edited by - emilemma on July 06 2011 04:34:20
Go to Top of Page

Merlin
Advanced Member

852 Posts

Posted - July 06 2011 :  04:43:13  Show Profile
The WinPE disk is guaranteed to work, and there is a 30 day refund policy.
It's much more compatible with respect to drivers than the linux disk.
I don't believe it exists in the trial version since Microsoft charges licensing fees, so it can only exist in the registered versions.

Edited by - Merlin on July 06 2011 04:44:51
Go to Top of Page

emilemma
Frequent Poster

USA
181 Posts

Posted - July 06 2011 :  05:01:43  Show Profile
the win PE does not exist in trial version...that is no excuse for the linux rescue disk to fail..how are you to test restores in trial version??? when i tried v4 trial some time back rescue disk worked fine, so do not think it is driver issue on my pc...

again, how can this be let out to market???

that is just a rhetorical question since i am sure no one has an answer???
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - July 06 2011 :  07:59:23  Show Profile
Hi

Sorry you are having problems with the Linux rescue CD, we will investigate further as to why this CD doesn't work on your system.

Please note that the Windows PE rescue environment IS available in the trial version of Macrium Reflect v5.0.

Windows PE offers a much more complete rescue environment including all the features of the main application as well as automatic driver injection to support devices not natively supported by Windows 7.

Select the 'Custom Windows PE' option in the rescue CD burn Wizard. This will download the MS Windows Automated Installation kit (WAIK) and create the same rescue CD as is available in the full edition of v5.

After installing the WAIK the rescue environment will be automatically created.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

bledd
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - July 07 2011 :  15:10:52  Show Profile
I do not work for Macrium, but I registered just to respond in this thread.

It's impossible for a company to test all combinations of hardware. Instead of coming in here all guns blazing, you should tell them the problem that you encountered, detail your hardware setup and ask if they can look into it. Then they can work with you to see if they can provide a solution.

You have a very poor attitude for someone who isn't even paying for a product.

Edited by - bledd on July 07 2011 15:11:26
Go to Top of Page

emilemma
Frequent Poster

USA
181 Posts

Posted - July 07 2011 :  16:48:03  Show Profile
i do not know who you think you are to get involved in this exchange between me and MR, but i can assure you that it is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

you do not know anything about that of which you speak.

i have in fact paid for ver 4 of MR and would like to pay for and upgrade to ver 5, but only if it works. if i want to voice STRONG opinions, again, that is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

have a nice day, junior..
Go to Top of Page

alan9182
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
527 Posts

Posted - July 07 2011 :  20:06:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by emilemma

i do not know who you think you are to get involved in this exchange between me and MR, but i can assure you that it is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

Your first post gained a response in less than 30 minutes;
Your second post gained a response in less than 11 minutes;
Your third post was an insulting rhetorical question for which you expected no answer.

Now you shout at a new member whose opinion I share.

I will say no more on this line because I have just seen you apology to Nick, for which I thank you.

Alan

O/S: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate *64 SP1
Graphics: HIS ATI Radeon HD 4670 1GB GDDR3
Motherboard: ASUS M3A32-MVP DELUXE AMD 790FX
Processor: AMD Phemom 9500 Quad Core 2206 Mhz
Hard Drive: Samsung HD103SJ, 931GB, MBR, 32MB Cache
Hard Drive: WD Caviar Black, 640GB, GPT, 32MB Cache
RAM: Corsair XMS 6400 4GB (2X2GB) 800mhz
Go to Top of Page

aladdin

42 Posts

Posted - July 07 2011 :  23:19:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Merlin

The WinPE disk is guaranteed to work, and there is a 30 day refund policy.
It's much more compatible with respect to drivers than the linux disk.
I don't believe it exists in the trial version since Microsoft charges licensing fees, so it can only exist in the registered versions.

Microsoft no longer charges for this, as this is confirmed in Nick's above post.

WinPE v2.1 which is based on Vista was being provided by Macrium Reflect to their customers, while for a year or so at the same time, most imaging software vendors were providing WinPE 3.0 and later WinPE v3.1 to their customers, which is based on Windows 7.

I know people, who have built WinPE v3.1 for free version of Macrium Reflect v4.2, based on Gurb4DOS. This is available to them on boot menu to boot into Macrium Reflect v4.2 based on WinPE v3.1 based on Windows 7.

Best regards,

aladdin!
Go to Top of Page

Merlin
Advanced Member

852 Posts

Posted - July 08 2011 :  00:35:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by aladdin
Microsoft no longer charges for this, as this is confirmed in Nick's above post.

I don't think this is necessarily the case.
Nick didn't say they don't charge for it, just that there is a way to use it in the trial by downloading the file from Microsoft.
Macrium is building the boot disk with the WAIK that you download separately, which is circumventing Microsoft's licensing policy with using the WinPE directly as part of the licensed version.
That is, unless they did, in fact, stop charging for it, which I doubt.
But hey, the reason I stop by this forum is to learn a bit if I can.

Edited by - Merlin on July 08 2011 00:40:58
Go to Top of Page

aladdin

42 Posts

Posted - July 08 2011 :  02:25:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Merlin

quote:
Originally posted by aladdin

I don't think this is necessarily the case.
Nick didn't say they don't charge for it, just that there is a way to use it in the trial by downloading the file from Microsoft.
Macrium is building the boot disk with the WAIK that you download separately, which is circumventing Microsoft's licensing policy with using the WinPE directly as part of the licensed version.
That is, unless they did, in fact, stop charging for it, which I doubt.
But hey, the reason I stop by this forum is to learn a bit if I can.

Every imaging program I have purchased in the last six months have come with WinPE v3.1, even if it came with WinPE 3.0 it was later updated to WinPE 3.1

The cheapest one I bought was Keriver 1-Clk Restore and I am allowed to use it on as many computers as I own, for which I paid only $10, also came with WinPE v3.1

For the above imaging program, I can download the WinPE v3.1 as many times as I desire from their websites.

Only Marcuim Reflect for which I have the Household 4 Pack with Additions, for which I paid about $100, came with WinPE v2.1 and I was only allowed to download it four times maximum as I own four licenses.

Best regards,

aladdin!

Edited by - aladdin on July 08 2011 02:26:47
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - July 08 2011 :  06:27:31  Show Profile
quote:

This is not correct. A license from Microsoft is required to distribute any version of Windows PE. Macrium Reflect includes a pre-built WIM that cannot be distrinuted for free. Merlin is correct that by downloading the WAIK the distribution is controlled by MS not Macrium. However, this is a 1.7GB download and, until v5 of Macrium Reflect, involved a great deal of technical knowledge to create a working rescue CD. v5 automates this process.

This topic is closed

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000