Macrium Support Forum

This forum is for Version 5 of Macrium Reflect.
Version 6 users should join our new forum here.

Version 5 support expired on 17 February 2016.

Find out more
Macrium Support Forum
Macrium Support Forum    RSS 2.0  RSS Feed      KB
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Reflect v5
 Disk Imaging
 Can v5 restore image from v4?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

invgrp
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - July 11 2011 :  16:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm currently using 4.2 and I was wondering if I upgrade to v5 can v5 restore a v4 image?

Thanks.

IG

C.Bamford

United Kingdom
1002 Posts

Posted - July 11 2011 :  17:13:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Thanks for contacting us.

V5 of Macrium Reflect can restore v4 images.

Kind regards.

Chris.

Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page

invgrp
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - July 11 2011 :  17:25:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

And, I must say I've been a Macrium customer for 2-3 years now and whenever I have a hard drive problem Reflect has always restored the hard drive image without problems.

I do take an full images on a daily basis and store them on my computers 2nd hard drive.

Great product!

Go to Top of Page

humb23

USA
31 Posts

Posted - July 12 2011 :  00:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a better question. Can a restore disk from 4.2 or earlier restore a backup made with version 5?

Also, I just upgraded to version 5 and had a few incremental backups from 4.2 -- this thing just made a full backup without prompting me. Is it that you can't mix backups from different versions or what?

Another thing - I can't make a 5.0 PE ISO file, let alone burn this thing directly to CD (fortunately, Linux DID work). I'm thinking it may be a compatibility problem with my hardware. Today I tried again thinking your could uncheck the drivers, but it won't let you do that either. Any ideas?

Edited by - humb23 on July 12 2011 00:32:12
Go to Top of Page

humb23

USA
31 Posts

Posted - July 12 2011 :  20:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disregard the problem I was having creating a PE image. It was due to the fact that I had my temp drive set to my ramdrive, which didn't have enough space. Apparently when creating the ISO, Reflect extracts to whatever temp drive is specified. I changed the temp to one on my 2nd hard drive and it created the image perfectly. I burned and tested it and it works.

Also, it was explained to me that 5.0 can indeed create incremental and differential backups and how to do it. The thing is that the interphase from 4.2 is so different that they've made it nearly impossible to find on your own, and if you open the help file and type "incremental" or "differential" on the index, nothing comes out. I even had to take the instructions and copy them to that license.rtf file that's in there (deleting the legal mumbo jumbo, obviously) In my opinion this is a big screwup by whoever wrote 5.0.

What I'd still like to know is if images made by 5.0 can be restored by rescue disks from earlier versions. Funny, even when I posed this question to tech support in e-mail I never seem to get a straight answer.

Edited by - humb23 on July 12 2011 20:23:11
Go to Top of Page

alan9182
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
527 Posts

Posted - July 12 2011 :  20:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Read the forums, that is what they are for.
Your question is already answered.
Go to Top of Page

john.p

887 Posts

Posted - July 12 2011 :  23:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Yes you can restore v5 images with v4.

Kind Regards
John - Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic