Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maximillianx
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - July 09 2008 :  16:44:47  Show Profile
I think this would be an excellent feature.

...especially if our hard disk crashes, and we don't necessarily have another 250Gb disk lying around (but maybe we have an 80Gb drive!).

Confessions of a freeware junkie: http://www.thefreewarejunkie.com

Nick

United Kingdom
6001 Posts

Posted - July 09 2008 :  17:07:25  Show Profile
Hi

The problem is that a disk image is not the same as a file backup. It contains a sector/cluster representation of the file system. A 250 GB partition has the MFT table stored at an offset of 125 GB (the middle of the disk) when formatted and if your disk needs defragmenting you may have used clusters towards the end. If you look at the Vista 'Shrink' partition option, it only allows you to reduce the partition to the offset of the last cluster in use. This may only allow minimal shrinkage, and you have the same problem when restoring an image.

After a disk crash, your first thought is 'how can I get my data back and PC running again!'. Fortunately you can, and the disk that's broken is probably relatively old so a replacement of the same size is going to be inexpensive.

I think you’ve come across this ‘problem’ because you’re testing the restore with hardware you’ve got available. I don’t you’d find this a big issue if you had a real life disk crash!

That said, we *are* looking at restoring to smaller partitions (it will mean defragmenting during restore), but it won’t be available for a few months yet.

Are you the aforementioned freeware junkie or is that a reference to the review of Macrium on the site?

Kind Regards

Nick

Edited by - Nick on July 09 2008 17:10:11
Go to Top of Page

maximillianx
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - July 09 2008 :  17:16:20  Show Profile
I am "the junkie" - :) ... I love Reflect, btw - Side note: I tried to get it via the GAOTD offer, but my activation didn't take...in any case, the free version seems to be doing what I want! Will you be offering it again sometime?

Regarding your explanation...I understand (in theory) the issues with the sector/cluster explanation, but I am no way any expert on the matter! I also know that backing up sectors and clusters is a different affair than file backups, but I am also a seasoned Ghost user so you will have to excuse my expectations for any new drive imaging software titles I try!

But yes - I test with the hardware I have available ;) - - in any case, you are right, most situations would warrant a drive purchase where you would be buying a drive larger or same size capacity as the one that crashed.

Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6001 Posts

Posted - July 09 2008 :  17:28:37  Show Profile
quote:
I tried to get it via the GAOTD offer, but my activation didn't take

Ahh, you didn't read the activation instructions! You should have run 'activate.exe' before running the installer. A lot of people had this problem; unfortunately we didn't see the method GOTD used to validate the install date until it was too late.

Next time we'll have the activation bullet proof! Did I just say 'next time'?

Go to Top of Page

maximillianx
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - July 09 2008 :  17:53:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nick

Next time we'll have the activation bullet proof! Did I just say 'next time'?

Awesome!

Edited by - maximillianx on July 09 2008 17:54:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000