Macrium Support Forum    RSS 2.0  RSS Feed      KB
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Reflect v5
 Disk Imaging
 How to boot from cloned drive and make it C drive?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devison
Starting Member

Ireland
9 Posts

Posted - December 29 2011 :  18:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

After cloning the C drive in my system, how can I make the clone be the new C? I don't want to unplug the old C because on the same disk (in fact a RAID-1 array) it also has my D drive which contains data.

I have Macrium Reflect Standard Edition (64-bit) 5.0, up-to-date build 4196. My system is Windows 7 Home Premium.

Some details:

My system previously had one RAID-1 array, (with on-board Intel RAID controller), and with following partitions:
- System Reserved 24.1MB/100.0MB
- C: (system/boot) 51.17GB/107.32GB
- D: (data) 596.98GB/1.26TB

Today I added a 128GB SSD drive (Crucial M4). I'd like to use this as the C system/boot drive and continue to use D drive for data.

Using Reflect's "Clone this disk" option, I cloned the System Reserved partition and the C partition onto the new SSD drive.
I now see following for this disk in Reflect:
- System Reserved 24.1MB/100.0MB
- F: 45.65GB/107.32GB

My system is still booting off C:.

How can I disable C and boot from F, but with that the new C? Ideally the old C could sit there unchanged as a back-up boot option if the SSD ever dies. Ideally I'd clone from new C back to old C once in a while so it stayed up-to-date.

I tried changing the boot sequence to have the SSD first, but it boots up as F.

According to Windows 7 online documentation I can't rename the boot partition. Otherwise I'd try to rename C to E then F to C.

Perhaps this isn't a Macrium question per se, but I'd appreciate any advice about how to proceed.

Regards,
Dan

Nick

United Kingdom
6100 Posts

Posted - December 30 2011 :  16:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dan

Thanks for your post.

Drive letters are defined by the running OS and the Windows System drive is always 'C'. If you configure your BIOS to boot to your new SSD drive it will start, from the SSD, as drive 'C'.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

devison
Starting Member

Ireland
9 Posts

Posted - December 30 2011 :  18:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Nick,
Thanks for response.
I have tried booting from the new drive, and it boots successfully as the system disk, but with letter F.
I believe it is the system disk because:
(1) if I look in the windows Resource Monitor on the Disk tab, I see a bunch of system related reads and writes from the F: drive, whereas when I boot from RAID array first I see those files accessed on C: drive. eg. with Images of "System" and "svchost.exe".
(2) in Windows Explorer only the F drive now has the system disk icon, with the windows logo on it, whereas if I boot from the prior disk, the C drive has that icon.
I'm thinking the drive which I cloned knew that the original RAID partition was C and the new SSD partition was F, and so that mapping has been maintained in the clone. But must admit I don't understand how Windows works in this regard...
Regards,
Dan

quote:
Originally posted by Nick

Hi Dan

Thanks for your post.

Drive letters are defined by the running OS and the Windows System drive is always 'C'. If you configure your BIOS to boot to your new SSD drive it will start, from the SSD, as drive 'C'.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6100 Posts

Posted - December 30 2011 :  22:17:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dan

If you look in the Windows Disk Management Console, the Windows System drive is labelled 'Boot'....

Click start, type 'diskmgmt.msc' (without quotes) and press enter.

You can also click 'Start', type %WINDIR% and press enter.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

devison
Starting Member

Ireland
9 Posts

Posted - December 30 2011 :  22:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Nick,

Following instructions, screenshot attached here:

As you can (hopefully) see, the E drive is my Boot drive. That is the cloned copy on the new SSD (Disk 1) of the original C drive on the RAID array (Disk 0).

Also typing %WINDIR% brings up windows explorer on the E drive.

As an aside, for some reason I don't understand it has been renamed E, whereas previously when I logged in it was F!

Regards,
Dan

quote:
Originally posted by Nick

Hi Dan

If you look in the Windows Disk Management Console, the Windows System drive is labelled 'Boot'....

Click start, type 'diskmgmt.msc' (without quotes) and press enter.

You can also click 'Start', type %WINDIR% and press enter.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6100 Posts

Posted - December 30 2011 :  23:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dan

Can you try the following...

1. Boot into your cloned SSD
2. Click 'Start', type 'regedit' and press enter
3. When regedit starts navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

4. Right click on the 'MountedDevices' key, select 'rename' and rename the key to 'MountedDevicesOld'

5. Close regedit and reboot.

When your system restarts, drive 'C' should now be the active partition on your SSD. Other partitions will likely be assigned unfamiliar drive letters. You can change the drive letters of the other partitions using the Disk Management console. Right click on the partitions and select 'Change Drive Letter and Paths'. This will only affect the letters associated when you boot with the SSD.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited by - Nick on December 30 2011 23:17:00
Go to Top of Page

devison
Starting Member

Ireland
9 Posts

Posted - December 30 2011 :  23:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Nick,

Thanks so much - that does the trick.

Fantastic product and fantastic support!

As an aside, do you think the clone functionality could have an option to do something like this automatically? I guess there are multiple use cases for cloning a drive:
1. cloning a drive where the clone will replace the original (either now or sometime in the future), and they won't both coexist.
2. cloning a drive where the clone will become the new boot drive and the original will coexist.
Would some kind of option in the application make 2. easier in general, (or perhaps it was just some unusual setup in my system which made this tricky).

Regards,
Dan
Go to Top of Page

bmeyymacrium

13 Posts

Posted - February 14 2012 :  19:35:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having the exact same problem except that when I boot to the SSD (with the RAID removed) it takes a long time at starting desktop and then boots to a crippled windows that says "invalid copy of windows" in the corner. The main drive is showing up as D: and the 100MB boot drive is showing up as C:. Some pointers in the environment are pointing to c: some are pointing to d:. I can't run any programs so I can't get into regedit to try and change the drive letters.

Any ideas?

Next steps are to reconnect the RAID and see what happens.

Brad
Go to Top of Page

bmeyymacrium

13 Posts

Posted - February 14 2012 :  19:56:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:
I reconnected the RAID and rebooted and the system boots properly, except:
100Mb partition of RAID is unassigned drive letter, main partition is C:. SSD 100MB is W: and main drive is D:. Some of environment points to c: some points to D:.

The RAID and the SSD are still, at this time, clones of each other. I am next going to try making the regedit change above and see if that fixes the drive assignments.

Brad
Go to Top of Page

devison
Starting Member

Ireland
9 Posts

Posted - February 14 2012 :  21:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thought I'd add something to this thread regarding what I eventually did:

While the advice from Nick worked well, I was concerned that I had booted up on the new drive as the E: drive, then changed the registry settings, then re-booted up on it now as C:. I was concerned that during that first boot it may have recorded files as being on E:, which were now on C:. I have no idea if this is a problem, but seemed less than ideal.

So I re-cloned the original partition, then (while still logged in with the original partition as boot partition), I attached regedit to the registry hive on that newly cloned partition, and edited the registry keys there, (by renaming the keys as advised by Nick), before booting up on it. Then the first time it was booted it was C:. I used the feature of regedit File->Load Hive for this. (I forget the details, but you should find it easily enough with a search engine).

Good luck...

quote:
Originally posted by bmeyymacrium

Update:
I reconnected the RAID and rebooted and the system boots properly, except:
100Mb partition of RAID is unassigned drive letter, main partition is C:. SSD 100MB is W: and main drive is D:. Some of environment points to c: some points to D:.

The RAID and the SSD are still, at this time, clones of each other. I am next going to try making the regedit change above and see if that fixes the drive assignments.

Brad

Go to Top of Page

bmeyymacrium

13 Posts

Posted - February 15 2012 :  01:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another update:
Changed registry as suggested above and rebooted. All seems well now.
System seems to crash occasionally, I think it has nothing to do with the restore, but rather a conflict between the RAID and the SSD. I removed the RAID again and the SSD seems stable by itself. Have to try bringing the RAID back on some time later.

Brad
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000