Macrium Support Forum

This forum is for Version 5 of Macrium Reflect.
Version 6 users should join our new forum here.

Version 5 support expired on 17 February 2016.

Find out more
Macrium Support Forum
Macrium Support Forum    RSS 2.0  RSS Feed      KB
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Reflect v5
 Disk Imaging
 Restoring image to new Hard Drive
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

simon_paech
Starting Member

Uganda
4 Posts

Posted - September 14 2012 :  19:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I'm having a HDD go bad on my Windows 7 (Home Premium) laptop (HP DV7-4285dx). I have Macrium Reflect Standard v.5 and have backup images of the HDD partitions (on external USB HDD, made prior to the HDD problem) as follows:

1) System reserved partition (200mb) + System partition (C:)
2) Data partition (D:)

I have a Linux rescue CD for the PC.

I plan to get a new hard drive and hope to restore the backup images to it. I've done my homework - looking around on the web & at previous posts in the forum - but still have a few questions:

Can I restore the backup images (system first of course) to a new HDD (different make & model) with my Macrium software configuration and have it boot up successfully? I'm specifically wondering about:

1) Not having redeploy capability, since I have the standard version of M.Reflect. I did read in another post that redeploy is only needed when restoring to a PC with a different motherboard, and that a simple HDD change wouldn't pose a problem. But I also read on a different forum of a user that the HDD change & image restore didn't work for (he had the free version of Reflect with Linux rescue CD).

2) Having the Linux rescue CD vs. the Win PE, as I read that there's a MBR change option with the latter.

I guess the issue is whether the system will boot up with the system image restored to a different HDD.

If it helps, the PC is hobbling along & I'm currently trying to make the Win PE rescue CD [update: I was able to create it, and checked the "Check for unsupported devices each time the Rescue media loads" box].

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by - simon_paech on September 14 2012 21:19:55

Merlin
Advanced Member

852 Posts

Posted - September 14 2012 :  21:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should be able to shut down, replace your HDD with the new one, boot with the CD, choose the source image to restore from, choose the HDD as the new target, and let it do what it needs to do.
No, since it's the same system, ReDeploy isn't necessary.
Also, if the new HDD is larger, you will be able to adjust partition sizes during the restore.
http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50079.aspx?Keywords=Restore

Edited by - Merlin on September 14 2012 22:09:56
Go to Top of Page

simon_paech
Starting Member

Uganda
4 Posts

Posted - September 15 2012 :  08:08:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear! Thanks Merlin. I'm off to buy a new HDD
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic