Macrium Support Forum

This forum is for Version 5 of Macrium Reflect.
Version 6 users should join our new forum here.

Version 5 support expired on 17 February 2016.

Find out more
Macrium Support Forum
Macrium Support Forum    RSS 2.0  RSS Feed      KB
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Reflect v5
 Disk Imaging
 Disk Signature
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Just Plain Fred

USA
23 Posts

Posted - September 23 2012 :  17:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,
When you "clone" a disk does the "Target Disk" take on the disk signature as the "Source" ?...Or does it remain as it was originally?

Regards Fred

Gork
Advanced Member

USA
650 Posts

Posted - September 24 2012 :  07:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know for sure that when you take an image of a drive (basically a clone to a file that can be written back out to another hard drive, instead of a clone from one hard drive to another) it depends on whether the original hard drive is still attached to the computer. If the original drive is still attached, the target disk gets a new disk signature. If the original disk is not attached to the computer at the time of restoration the disk signature from the original disk will be copied to the target disk.

I don't ever clone directly from one drive to another so I cannot answer your question about that. I tried to search through the KB articles and forums and found nothing definitive.

Edited by - Gork on September 24 2012 07:37:56
Go to Top of Page

Gork
Advanced Member

USA
650 Posts

Posted - September 24 2012 :  08:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, I thought I'd read something more definitive:
http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4699&SearchTerms=disk+id

"Cloned disks will always have a different disk id."

I guess if you need the disk ID to be retained you'd have to image the drive instead of clone it. And during the restore from the image you'd need to remove the original drive from the machine.

Edited by - Gork on September 24 2012 08:33:46
Go to Top of Page

Just Plain Fred

USA
23 Posts

Posted - September 24 2012 :  13:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gork,

Hello...Thanks for the reply.. I use another "Imaging" program (Acronis 2010) along with Macrium. When "Cloning" or "Imaging" (with Acronis), you can select if you want the "HD ID" to be maintained or not. Think that this would be a good option to include with Macrium Reflect as well ... Regards Fred
Go to Top of Page

Gork
Advanced Member

USA
650 Posts

Posted - September 25 2012 :  10:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that's one of the things I suggested in an email sent to them during correspondence we had before I purchased the software. My guess is they are trying to give the user a seamless simple experience, but as a power user I would like more control over several facets of what the software does. One problem which would have to be addressed though is if the user is running the GUI in Windows and creates a clone with the same disk ID there would be two disks attached to the same system with the same disk ID. I don't know the ins and outs of addressing such a problem but it must be possible because I believe other software vendors allow for that option.

For me I truly just asked to have control over that option when I make images though. I never clone directly from one drive to another - I always create an image file first.

Edited by - Gork on September 25 2012 10:13:11
Go to Top of Page

Jon Dittman

United Kingdom
206 Posts

Posted - September 25 2012 :  10:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
It is worth adding that when you clone a disk, the registry on the target disk is automatically updated to assign the drive letters to the new disk ID. When you run up the cloned disk, it will appear to be identical to the original. Gork has already been pointed out that it is not possible to have two disks with the same disk ID in the same system during the clone operation, so Reflect deals with this automatically.

Kind regards

Jon Dittman
Macrium Support

Edited by - Jon Dittman on September 25 2012 10:22:59
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000