Macrium Support Forum

This forum is for Version 5 of Macrium Reflect.
Version 6 users should join our new forum here.

Version 5 support expired on 17 February 2016.

Find out more
Macrium Support Forum
Macrium Support Forum    RSS 2.0  RSS Feed      KB
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Reflect v5
 File Backup
 Restore could be improved.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShadV5
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - December 22 2012 :  15:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve been trying to restore a load of files to the ROOT of a drive and have had to jump through hoops to do it.

Restoring from a File Backup to the root of a new drive always results in a folder called “Drive (D)” being created with the restored files going in there, rather than where I wanted them.

I had to resort to creating a directory junction called “Drive (D)” on the root of another drive, the junction pointing to the root of the drive I wanted to restore to.

I know I could have moved the files out after the restore but there was over 400GB of data in over a million files.

Please can the option to restore files to the root of a drive be added?
Or, if it already exists and I’ve missed it, can the documentation be updated to more clearly so how it works?

Thank you and happy Christmas :)

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - December 23 2012 :  10:22:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Thanks for your comments.

quote:
Please can the option to restore files to the root of a drive be added?

This option will be added in a future update.

You can also mount the backup file in Windows Explorer and use copy and paste to copy folders and files to any location.

Kind regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

CSPonMR

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - October 20 2014 :  19:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nick
This option will be added in a future update.

Is this option likely to arrive soon please?

(See my update at the end of this post.)

I usually make only image backups and rarely use File & Folder backups, but today I wanted to use a Macrium Reflect File & Folder backup to "move" my working photo sets onto a new, larger drive on another computer.

Like the originator of this post, ShadV5, I needed to restore over 500GB of image files onto this new drive, and to discover this extra "Drive (X}" on the restore path was VERY unwelcome. It meant that, along with the additional '\' character following the "Drive (X)", ALL my restored folder paths were now lengthened by 10 extra characters.

While my images were on their original drive I took full advantage of the already painfully-short Windows file+folder path-length limit of 260 characters. In fact I was careful never actually to exceed a combined filename+folder path length of 253 characters - but you'll understand why I (now) need to jump through hoops to be sure that a Reflect File & Folder restore to a "new location" will succeed without breaching that 260 character limit!!!!

(It's not an option for me simply to work to a shorter, less deep folder structure that needs fewer than 253 characters.)

quote:
Originally posted by NickYou can also mount the backup file in Windows Explorer and use copy and paste to copy folders and files to any location.

I've used this alternative per-file restore many times, but it's not appropriate here because all of the original dates on my image files (Created Date, Modified date) etc., are themselves significant bits of information relating to my images, and those dates are lost when I use Explorer to extract files from a 'Browsed' .mrbak file.

In fact, even though I ticked the Restore option to "Restore folder create and modified dates" (see item 9 on this Macrium Help page - http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/How_to/Restore/Restore_Files_and_Folders.htm - I see that a File & Folder restore still replaces my files' original Last Accessed dates with (I presume) their Last Modified dates.

(For comparison, the process of zip-compressing and then UN-compressing a folder of files on a new drive will protect and faithfully propagate ALL the attributes of the files in that ZIPped folder, including their Last Accessed dates.)

So please give the option to omit the "Drive {X}" prefix on File & Folder restores, as soon as possible.

Colin P.

UPDATE: on Thursday 23rd October 2014

Just to clarify ...
1. This "Drive {X}" path-prefix only appears on File & Folder restores when we are restoring to a place on the destination drive that is different from where the files were located on the original / source drive.

2. (As I discovered yesterday) - When we can restore an entire File & Folder backup to the same relative place on the destination drive, then the folder structure is replicated faithfully on the new drive, without any extra path components (such as "Drive (F)") being added.

3a. For example: My folder structure (comprising thousands of sub-folders) on my old 'source' drive F: began with a folder I'd called "Photos_F", so my backup contained "F:\"Photos_F\" plus all the sub-folders and files beneath it.

3b. When I restored this backup to my new F: drive on a different computer, the Macrium dialogue (of course) offered to let me "Restore to original location", to which I said (or selected) "yes". Then when the restore process began I was relieved to see that my restored structure was starting at "F:\Photos_F" and not (as I had feared) at "F:\Drive (F)\Photos_F".

4. So to complete the picture - this additional "Drive (X)" is only prefixed to a restored path when we choose to restore a File & Folder backup to a location on a destination drive that is other than the original folder's location. (I had run some test backups/rehearsals for this long backup & restore task using smaller 'representative' portions of my full folder structure, but I had always restored those test backups to some existing sub-folder on the new F: drive, which was why I was seeing that worrying "Drive (F)" prefix.

I'll conclude with a grumble about the absence of any explanation of these significant points - as far as I could see - in the Macrium Reflect Help and FAQ pages ... which might have saved me some hair-pulling and would have allowed me to skip some lengthy "test" backups & restores.

Colin P.

Two backups is one backup too few ...
P.S. I live in UK but my body-clock is in USA!

Edited by - CSPonMR on October 23 2014 19:02:01
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - October 23 2014 :  20:35:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Colin

Apologies for the lack of clarity in our documentation for the restore location logic.

A File and Folder backup archive can contain folders from many different locations. e.g., you can create a single File and Folder backup that contains:

C:\photos
E:\photos
\\myserver\share\data

When restoring back to the original location the restore will recover files across the drives and network to where they were originally stored. This logic is obvious.

When restoring this entire backup to an alternative location things become more complex. Without including the 'Drive X' or 'Network X' root in the restore path, the 'Photos' folder, in this case, would overwrite itself during the restore process (as there are two Photos folders in the backup) and possibly delete restored files of the same name. It also may not be clear where the other sub folders originated from if there are many folders in the root of the backed up drive(s)..

We fully understand though, that if your backups are from a single root then the above complexity isn't relevant. To address this we have been working on additional restore options when the destination of the restore is not the same as the source. We expect the new options to be available in the next week or two and, yes, the purpose of the options will be fully explained and documented.

Kind regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

CSPonMR

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - October 24 2014 :  00:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Nick for that neat illustration of where confusion can arise in some cases.

Yet another example I think of where some users (like me) think we've seen the whole story, but come back later to thank you for protecting us from ourselves!

Thank you too for your hint at some related updates coming soon. Exemplary response once again from Macrium Support!

(I'm still marvelling at my otherwise trouble-free restore from this backup, of over 60,000 files (more than 520GB uncompressed) onto my new PC. It's true that we shouldn't expect anything less from a 'backup' program ... but, y'know, figures like this couldn't have been imagined just a few years ago!)

Colin P.

Two backups is one backup too few ...
I live in the UK but my body-clock thinks I'm in the US
Go to Top of Page

Arvy
Advanced Member

Canada
494 Posts

Posted - October 25 2014 :  04:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That will be a very welcome improvement. Although I rarely use file- and folder-based restores, I've also found that dealing with those prefix inserts can be a significant nuisance when I do. Look forward to seeing the new options.

Regards, Richard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000