image format
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DaveN
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - September 08 2008 :  18:38:45  Show Profile
I am interested in knowing whether or not the format of your disk image is proprietary or not? If it is proprietary, do you make available an API?

The main reason for this question is to ascertain if any 3rd party software will be able to access the stored information in the images.

Apologies if this info is available elsewhere in your web site/documentation/forum - I did a quich search and didn't find any relavent information.

Nick

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - September 08 2008 :  19:29:58  Show Profile
Hi Dave

The file layout for disk images is proprietary and we don't have a publicly available API.

Can I ask the reason why you require 3rd party software to access your images?

Kind Regards

Nick
Go to Top of Page

DaveN
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - September 09 2008 :  02:14:14  Show Profile
Hello Nick,

I'll answer your question in a roundabout way. :-)

My personal criteria for backup software is the following:
1) Ability to create full and incremental disk/partion images.
2) No (ideally) or low (<CDN$100) cost.
3) Longetivity of the backup.
4) Ability to "mount" as a drive the backups on a different PC or from a boot disk (so I can use Beyond Compare to analyse differences).
5) Good compression ratio.

The disk image format is important for points 3 and 4. If the disk format is open source or accessible via a known API, there is less risk that the data will not be accessible in 15 years. (For example I can still read the ASCII text documents I created in high school on my Apple II+, but forget about easily accessing any of the formatted .doc files - I can't even remember the name of the word processor software). Similarily if your company disappears or stops supporting the proprietary image format (e.g. after being bought out by Microsoft for hundreds of millions), third party support reduces the risk that older images cannot be accessed.

I haven't yet found a backup program that meets all my criteria. In the past I've used Ghost (dislike it), and Acronis (loved it until I discovered that their .tib images from older versions can't be read by the newer versions, also I can't mount the images from my UBCD4WIN boot disk).

I have yet to try your s/w (see post http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=501). But, on paper your program looks as good as my current Acronis setup - an API for the disk image would have clinched it. Without the API it is harder for me to justify switching, but I'll use your trial period to test the useablilty for my particular needs and purchase criteria.

Cheers,
Dave.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000