Rescue CD and VirtualBox
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

miros

10 Posts

Posted - January 21 2013 :  20:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I create a virtual machine with VirtualBox and I want to restore a image crated with macrium.

When I boot VM with rescue cd Windows PE it doesnot find USB to explore image. Is there any way to convert macrium image to vmdk or VDI?

I see in macrium software that only convert to VHD is support.

et_and_family
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
475 Posts

Posted - January 21 2013 :  22:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

At present there is only a Reflect conversion of Image to VHD.

To convert an Image to VHD, open Reflect and from the Other Tasks menu select 'Covert Image to VHD'. Complete the dialog by selecting Image and if necessary the drive letter from Image to be converted. Select destination > Convert. The 'ImgTOVHD Usage' section of the following tutorial also refers: http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50005.aspx as does http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/Other_tasks/Convert_Image_to_VHD/Convert_Image_to_VHD.htm which maybe useful if you select drives from Image.

To install the VHD in Virtual Box use tutorial: http://www.macrium.com/help/v5/How_to/ImgToVHD/Create_a_virtual_machine_using_ImgToVHD.htm

Hope this helps

Regards

et

Edited by - et_and_family on January 21 2013 22:41:56
Go to Top of Page

miros

10 Posts

Posted - January 22 2013 :  11:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do I need to convert the machine to VHD from the same computer where Macrium reflect is installed, or I can do it in another computer with another tool under Linux?

And can you also clarify that please?
Also, consider reconfiguring the vhd as a SATA device if that's how the original machine was configured.
And give some examples?

Edited by - miros on January 22 2013 11:57:37
Go to Top of Page

Antony

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - January 24 2013 :  11:18:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Miros,

To convert a mrimg (our image format) to a VHD you will need to use the tool we supply with Reflect, so you will need to do this on the system on which Reflect is installed.

Once you have produced a VHD, you can convert this to VirtualBox's VDI format if you wish (although this is not actually required - VirtualBox supports a range of virtual disk formats including VHDs). There are many ways to do this, e.g. from the VirtualBox GUI. The command line method can be run under Linux or Windows and is as simple as running:

VBoxManage clonehd converted_image.vhd new_name.vdi --format vdi

Under Linux, VBoxManage should be in /usr/bin (it is definitely on the path). On Windows, you will find the utility in your install folder, e.g. C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\. You will need to:

C:
cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"

to use it.

Now in terms of device configurations, e.g.

quote:
Also, consider reconfiguring the vhd as a SATA device if that's how the original machine was configured.

To be guaranteed a successful boot the image you restore (the starting Windows system) needs to match as closely as possible the hardware of the system the image was taken from. So, for example, if you took an image of a system whose disks were connected to SCSI controllers and tried to boot the restored image on a system with different controllers you might find it does not work - Windows will blue screen on boot.

There are two ways around this. The first is to use our redeploy product. If you have the Pro or Server versions of Reflect you have this - simply boot from PE rescue media and select the "Restore" menu then "redeploy image to new hardware" item. Simply follow the wizard and insert the necessary drivers.

The alternative given this is a virtual machine is simply to alter what you are emulating to match as closely as possible the host system.

Hope this clears things up for you,

Kind Regards,

Antony
Macrium Support

Edited by - Antony on January 24 2013 11:19:14
Go to Top of Page

miros

10 Posts

Posted - January 24 2013 :  15:55:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
VBoxManage clonehd converted_image.vhd new_name.vdi --format vdi

That is good, but what I was really mean if it is possible to convert from mrimg to VHD in Linux. If is there some command or utility for that.

Thanks for your explication.
Go to Top of Page

Gork
Advanced Member

USA
622 Posts

Posted - January 25 2013 :  01:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably not, @miros. I've never heard that Macrium supplies such a tool in Linux. It probably wouldn't work well for their business model.
Go to Top of Page

Antony

United Kingdom
212 Posts

Posted - January 25 2013 :  09:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Miros and Gork,

Gork is correct - we currently do not have a tool for doing this under Linux.

Kind Regards,

Antony
Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page

miros

10 Posts

Posted - January 25 2013 :  12:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Linux to save backup for Macrium and planing to create more servers with Linux.

Will be great if you create a suchm tool for Linux.

Now I have to copy the image to Windows PC to convert it and later copy back it to Linux.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000