New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cefrey68
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - February 02 2013 :  21:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While trying to clone my OS to a new SSD, a Samsung 840 series I keep getting an error that says

Clone Failed - Write failed - 13- Broken pipe

Any help with tis is much appreicated.

Keith

12 Posts

Posted - February 03 2013 :  13:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would sound like the SSD failed the write operation thereby breaking the "data pipe" between the reading of the old disk and writing of the new SSD. You should look at the "Event Viewer" and see what errors it shows.

Your problem is most likely the SSD but you want to make sure the hardware is configured properly and you have a good SATA 6GB cable to the SSD.

The SSD should be connected to the 1st SATA port (0) and the port should be configured for AHCI transfer mode. If you are not currently configured for AHCI mode, move the system disk to port 4 or 5 and configure ports 0-3 for AHCI and ports 4-5 for IDE in the BIOS. Boot windows and let it discover the AHCI controller and do it's new hardware install and reboot. At this point it can boot a system disk from an AHCI port without a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD).
Go to Top of Page

Gork
Advanced Member

USA
619 Posts

Posted - February 04 2013 :  06:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least if it's an Intel chipset connecting the SATA ports you have to choose legacy, AHCI or RAID. Choosing RAID in the BIOS setup screen gives the user the same advantages as AHCI.

Why would not using AHCI/RAID transfer mode cause a broken pipe error though? Though AHCI would be preferable to using a legacy mode, I doubt it would cause this type of an error with a normal transfer of data. But then I'm not the most knowledgeable person in this regard either. However, I might be the most curious person... ;)

The BIOS setup screen for my motherboard doesn't allow me to configure different ports for IDE and AHCI/RAID so I'd imagine there are a lot of others out there in the same boat. Plus, it sounds like the OP is dealing with only a single hard drive. Anyway, to the OP: Be very careful you don't change from So, OP: Be very careful to not switch the hard drive your OS is already installed on or cloned to from IDE to AHCI or the BSOD Keith refers to will occur.

To add to Keith's comment about having a good SATA cable and checking the Windows logs for errors, if it were my issue I would also check the SSD drive's integrity with chkdsk and/or another similar utility. (For instance, Intel has a program called Intel SSD Toolbox which will check their hard drives for errors.)

And one last thing. Are you actually "cloning" the drive? As in you have both hard drives attached to the computer at the same time during this process? If so and you have a way to save an image (network location, USB drive etc) I'd try imaging the old drive then using the emergency recovery disk/thumb drive (make sure you have a working one created first) to restore the image file after unhooking your old hard drive from the computer.
Go to Top of Page

john.p

860 Posts

Posted - February 04 2013 :  08:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having a problem.

"Write failed - 13- Broken pipe" is indeed indicative of an hardware related issue. Please try an alternative SATA lead also and try a different SATA port. Switching to AHCI mode is unlikely to help and may pre-installed OS's unbootable.

In the worse case, it could also be the SSD itself.

Kind Regards
John - Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000