Macrium Support Forum

Macrium Support Forum
Macrium Support Forum    RSS 2.0  RSS Feed
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Reflect v5
 Disk Imaging
 Clone Failed - Read Failed 22- Broken Pipe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

richie3000
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - April 30 2013 :  15:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hard drive appears to have some bad sectors, picked up by Acronis Drive Monitor. Have run chdsk /r /f several times, and although no error is detected I know there are some bad sectors still, so am ready to replace the HD.

Am able to boot fine and use computer as normal until I run Macrium Reflect V5 Professional Edition.
When performing a clone it hangs each time at NTFS Primary and gives the following message:-

Clone failed- Read failed - 22 - Broken pipe etc

Have enabled ignor bad sectors in settings, but cannot clone disk from OS.

Any ideas apart from using the 1GB boot disk, which I am currently unable to download within the next 24hrs?

Please help.

Drac144
Trusted Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - April 30 2013 :  20:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When cloning did you specify the drive to clone from (i.e. C:) and the drive to clone to (whatever drive letter your clone is assigned when connected to your computer)?

Have you tried doing a full image backup? If you can do that then you can switch drives and restore the image backup to the new drive. It is a two step process instead of the one step process of cloning but it is the same thing, logically.

Go to Top of Page

richie3000
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - April 30 2013 :  22:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for getting back to me.

When cloning, I just click the "clone this disk.." then select my external SSD. The SSD shows on Relect as Destination Disc, with two partitions (from previous failed clone).

I've not tried doing a full image backup, but it's a good idea. Will give it it go shortly.

Thanks again for the advice.
Go to Top of Page

richie3000
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - May 01 2013 :  12:45:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drac144

When cloning did you specify the drive to clone from (i.e. C:) and the drive to clone to (whatever drive letter your clone is assigned when connected to your computer)?

Have you tried doing a full image backup? If you can do that then you can switch drives and restore the image backup to the new drive. It is a two step process instead of the one step process of cloning but it is the same thing, logically.





OK, I tried doing an image backup as suggested instead and got the same error.
Managed to create Macrium boot disk and got same 'read failed 22' error when performing a clone from the rescue environment. It always fails in the same NTFS Primary sector.

However, creating an image from the rescue environment seemed to work. It's a much smaller file size than expected, 159Gb vs 207Gb, so be interesting to see if this backup will work on the new HD.

Thanks again for the advice to do the image instead, as I would have ignored this option.
Go to Top of Page

richie3000
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  13:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE:
Good things. The restore from a rapidly failing hard drive worked brilliantly using the Rescue Environment.
Had to write the image to drive twice, and first one failed to boot after a couple of Windows restarts. Have since found out that you can fix Windows boot problems, which is available in the Windows PE Rescue media environment.
Grateful to the developers of this well designed product.
Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

kristerw
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - June 14 2013 :  12:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'creating an image from the rescue environment seemed to work'

what are the exact steps for this?
Go to Top of Page

Nick
Moderator

United Kingdom
5831 Posts

Posted - June 15 2013 :  07:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@kristerw

Thanks for your post.

You can create an image from the Windows PE rescue CD in exactly the same way as when Macrium Reflectruns in Windows. Click the 'Backup' tab after Windows PE loads.

Kind regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

rford
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - October 31 2013 :  00:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having big problems cloning my C hardrive on my laptop to a USB connected Samsung SSD. Cloning fails with Error 22 Broken Pipe. I have tried the rescue environment and booted. I am running v5.2 of your software. C drive boots fine but I want to clone to a new SSD to replace the harddrive in my laptop. I have run disk check multiple times including bad sector checking on the harddrive and no problems there. I am running win764-bit with all the latest updates. Please help. thanks Bob
Go to Top of Page

C.Bamford
Moderator

United Kingdom
952 Posts

Posted - October 31 2013 :  09:33:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Thanks for posting.

There could be an issue with the USB connection to the target drive (e.g.: USB ports, cable or subsystem).

Please try a different USB cable and port, if possible rule USB out by connecting the target SSD to an eSATA port.

Kind regards.
Chris - Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page

rford
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - October 31 2013 :  14:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris, have tried 2 usb cables and different usb ports, same result. I do not have an e-sata connection on my laptop. I am using a USB3.0 drive enclosure but my laptop only supports USB22.0, could this be the issue?

It appears to be a read issue on the source internal hard drive not a write issue for the target, in that I also cannot image the C drive to another D partition on the same drive. Could this be a bad sector(s) issue on the source drive? Windows drive check when I set it to scan bad sectors, finds a few but it says its repaired. Is there any way to have REflect ignore bad sectors on the read during a clone?


quote:
Originally posted by C.Bamford

Hi,

Thanks for posting.

There could be an issue with the USB connection to the target drive (e.g.: USB ports, cable or subsystem).

Please try a different USB cable and port, if possible rule USB out by connecting the target SSD to an eSATA port.

Kind regards.
Chris - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

C.Bamford
Moderator

United Kingdom
952 Posts

Posted - October 31 2013 :  14:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting back.

The chkdsk that has been previously run, was the command line parameter /r specified ? Also was chkdsk run under an elevated prompt ? This process will, usually, resolved error code 22 issues.

Please try creating an image file in the rescue environment, if this succeeds you and restore it to the SSD.

Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards.
Chris - Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page

rford
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - November 01 2013 :  17:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris,
I attached the samsung SSD to a USB 2.0 enclosure and the clone failed with the same error. I was not in the recovery environment but was booted into win 7

I booted into the recovery environment, I used the dos prompt to run chkdsk C: /F /R on my hard disk and although it found 80KB of bad sectors it said the filesystem was fine and made no corrections. I am now trying a create image from the C: Drive to the D: partition, same hard disk. I'll let you know.

Bob


quote:
Originally posted by C.Bamford

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting back.

The chkdsk that has been previously run, was the command line parameter /r specified ? Also was chkdsk run under an elevated prompt ? This process will, usually, resolved error code 22 issues.

Please try creating an image file in the rescue environment, if this succeeds you and restore it to the SSD.

Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards.
Chris - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

rford
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - November 03 2013 :  16:17:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, creating the image file from the rescue environment worked and so did restoring it to the SSD. Cloning does not work as mentioned. Thanks for your help.
quote:
Originally posted by rford

Chris,
I attached the samsung SSD to a USB 2.0 enclosure and the clone failed with the same error. I was not in the recovery environment but was booted into win 7

I booted into the recovery environment, I used the dos prompt to run chkdsk C: /F /R on my hard disk and although it found 80KB of bad sectors it said the filesystem was fine and made no corrections. I am now trying a create image from the C: Drive to the D: partition, same hard disk. I'll let you know.

Bob


quote:
Originally posted by C.Bamford

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting back.

The chkdsk that has been previously run, was the command line parameter /r specified ? Also was chkdsk run under an elevated prompt ? This process will, usually, resolved error code 22 issues.

Please try creating an image file in the rescue environment, if this succeeds you and restore it to the SSD.

Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards.
Chris - Macrium Support



Go to Top of Page

C.Bamford
Moderator

United Kingdom
952 Posts

Posted - November 04 2013 :  09:14:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Thanks for posting back.

Error code 22 is generally indicative of impending hardware failure or a faulty disk, especially in the case of a read process. This type of issue can be an intermittent.

As you now have a working image in hand which restores successfully it is suggested to remove the, possibly, defective drive from the computer and attempt the clone operation again should the need arise.

As you will be aware, the process of creating an image and then restoring that image to a new hard drive achieves the same result as the clone process.

Kind regards.
Chris - Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page

rford
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - November 04 2013 :  19:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris,
I attached the samsung SSD to a USB 2.0 enclosure and the clone failed with the same error. I was not in the recovery environment but was booted into win 7

I booted into the recovery environment, I used the dos prompt to run chkdsk C: /F /R on my hard disk and although it found 80KB of bad sectors it said the filesystem was fine and made no corrections. I am now trying a create image from the C: Drive to the D: partition, same hard disk. I'll let you know.

Bob


quote:
Originally posted by C.Bamford

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting back.

The chkdsk that has been previously run, was the command line parameter /r specified ? Also was chkdsk run under an elevated prompt ? This process will, usually, resolved error code 22 issues.

Please try creating an image file in the rescue environment, if this succeeds you and restore it to the SSD.

Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards.
Chris - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000