New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DStreuber
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  15:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have intermittently been getting the message "Backup aborted! Write operation failed. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" when I attempt a disk image. I am attempting an image backup on a remote external drive on my home network. This occurs on my laptop, connected via home network to a desktop. Neither PC is in Sleep mode. I can "see" all devices and there is no access problem. It takes about five hours for me to get the message, which indicates the problem occurred in the first hour. Help!

Nick

United Kingdom
5806 Posts

Posted - May 05 2013 :  16:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Thanks for your post sorry you are having problems.

This error indicates that the backup drive has dropped connection and stopped communicating with Windows. Please try setting the 'Enable file write caching' and then making another backup.

Take the 'Other Tasks' > 'Edit Defaults' > 'Advanced' > 'Advanced Backup Options' > 'Enable file write caching'

If that doesn't help, have a look in your Windows Event logs for errors that might point to the problem. Take the 'Other Tasks' > 'View Windows VSS Events' menu option in Macrium Reflect.

Kind regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

DStreuber
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 06 2013 :  15:11:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "Enable File Write Caching" made no difference, Nick. The VSS log shows two errors as indicated below. Help!

Thanks.

Date 5/4/2013 6:05:11 PM
Type Warning
Event 3036
Source Microsoft-Windows-Search

The content source <mapi://{S-1-5-21-3314663338-2448384741-1360269375-1001}/> cannot be accessed.

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
A server error occurred. Check that the server is available. (HRESULT : 0x80041206) (0x80041206)

Date 5/4/2013 5:53:53 PM
Type Warning
Event 3036
Source Microsoft-Windows-Search

The content source <ONEINDEX14://{S-1-5-21-3314663338-2448384741-1360269375-1001}/> cannot be accessed.

Context: Windows Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
(HRESULT : 0x80004005) (0x80004005)

quote:
Originally posted by Nick

Hi

Thanks for your post sorry you are having problems.

This error indicates that the backup drive has dropped connection and stopped communicating with Windows. Please try setting the 'Enable file write caching' and then making another backup.

Take the 'Other Tasks' > 'Edit Defaults' > 'Advanced' > 'Advanced Backup Options' > 'Enable file write caching'

If that doesn't help, have a look in your Windows Event logs for errors that might point to the problem. Take the 'Other Tasks' > 'View Windows VSS Events' menu option in Macrium Reflect.

Kind regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Jon Dittman

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - May 07 2013 :  10:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I have sent you a personal mail asking for more information on this subject.

Kind regards

Jon Dittman
Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page

et_and_family
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
460 Posts

Posted - May 08 2013 :  08:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

As the error does not appear to be resolved, did you record the correct error message. The words 'read' or 'write' are important.

The error 1117 indicates a problem with your file system or disk. If the error is preceded by the word 'Read' or 'Reading' then the error is with the drive you are imaging if the error is preceded with the word 'Write' then it's with the backup destination.

Run 'chkdsk c: /r /f' on the correct drive by replacing 'c' with the correct drive letter.

Hope this may be of help

Regards

et
Go to Top of Page

DStreuber
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 12 2013 :  15:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

After four CHKDSK iterations, it worked. Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by et_and_family

Hi

As the error does not appear to be resolved, did you record the correct error message. The words 'read' or 'write' are important.

The error 1117 indicates a problem with your file system or disk. If the error is preceded by the word 'Read' or 'Reading' then the error is with the drive you are imaging if the error is preceded with the word 'Write' then it's with the backup destination.

Run 'chkdsk c: /r /f' on the correct drive by replacing 'c' with the correct drive letter.

Hope this may be of help

Regards

et

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000