Win7 PC will not boot from Rescue CD
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johngie

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - July 07 2013 :  12:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new to Macrium so this might be my fault. The computer runs Win 7 Ultimate. I created a rescue CD and all went well with no error messages. To test it I changed the boot order in the BIOS and restarted the computer. It started the CD and seemed to be loading Windows but came up with the message screen saying:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start.....

(and options like contacting my network manager....)

then:

Info: Windows failed to boot because the ACPI firmware (BIOS) RSDB table is invalid.

I can't find anything in the forum or in the knowledgebase about this. Where can I go go from here?

I'm at least glad I tried it first - would have assumed all was well otherwise. Thankfully when the CD was removed the computer booted normally into Windows 7.

Edited by - johngie on July 07 2013 12:25:11

Nick

United Kingdom
6075 Posts

Posted - July 07 2013 :  14:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Thanks for your post.

This error generally means that your computer is not compatible with the version of Windows PE that you have built. For PE 3.1 that's Windows 7, for PE 4.0 it's Windows 8. Have you built a PE 3 or PE 4 rescue CD?

If you've built a PE 3.1 rescue CD can you please confirm that the boot menu is capable of loading Windows PE. Take 'Other Tasks' > 'Add recovery boot menu' and can you also try building a fresh rescue CD.

Kind regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

johngie

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - July 07 2013 :  16:02:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's PE 3.1. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you ask me to check "whether the boot menu is capable of loading PE". How do I check that - since the computer didn't boot from the recovery CD anyway?

Looking at "Other Tasks", when I click on "Add a boot menu.." which option do I select "No Menu, or PE 3.1 Menu"?

Assuming its the latter, what happens next? Do I make another recovery CD or what? Does it make any permanent change to the PC that could do harm?

Sorry if this seems a bit dumb - although I've used PC's for decades all this recovery stuff is a bit new to me. I assumed if I followed the instructions it would work!!

Regards
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6075 Posts

Posted - July 07 2013 :  17:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

To establish whether there is a problem with the CD or if your PC cannot boot Windows PE please take the option to add the Windows PE 3.1 boot menu. This is perfectly safe and will add a menu option to boot into Macrium Reflect recovery environment when Windows starts.

Kind regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Drac144
Advanced Member

USA
431 Posts

Posted - July 07 2013 :  18:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After doing what Nick suggests, above, you need to reboot your computer and look for the boot menu options near the beginning of the boot process. Select the Macrium option and see if the program loads. If it does, then your computer can handle the boot of the DVD since this is the same software that is on the DVD. If this option does NOT boot correctly, than there is some issue with your computer.
Go to Top of Page

johngie

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - July 07 2013 :  21:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both. I will do this tomorrow. If it turns out to be a problem with the PC what might be the course to follow - BIOS flash?

I take it that the boot to PE option in the boot menu can be removed at a later stage?

I also use AISBackup and that also gives me the option to make a PE based recovery disc, so I might try that too.

Kind regards

John
Go to Top of Page

johngie

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - July 07 2013 :  23:41:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're in business! Firstly I made a rescue disc from AISBackup (sorry!!) that did not load a PE environment and that worked fine - in fact it would restore a machine from the last backup. I then added the boot menu as suggested above, booted from the HDD, selected the Macrium option and that worked too. Finally I booted from the (same) Macrium Rescue CD and that, too, now worked.

So all's ended well, although I don't really know why the CD didn't work at first. The boot menu that appears is no big deal but, if I wanted to get rid of it, how should I do it - the BCD edit facility?

So a good weekend - first the Lions then Murray and now a working Rescue Disc
Go to Top of Page

C.Bamford

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - July 08 2013 :  08:33:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Thanks for posting.

To remove the Macrium Reflect boot menu option:
1. Click 'Other Tasks' > 'Add Recovery Boot Menu Option...'
2. Click 'No Menu'
3. Click Ok.