Macrium Support Forum    RSS 2.0  RSS Feed      KB
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Reflect v5
 Disk Imaging
 How does Macrium image a "live" Windows system ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pacman
Starting Member

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - November 15 2013 :  10:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious to know how a backup facility like Macrium Reflect can image a system which is running and is constantly changing. Even if I leave Reflect to get on with its job without my changing any of my user data (e.g by imaging overnight)the system is constantly metamorphosing because, for example, Windows Update runs automatically, as do other packages such as antivirus and Adobe Flash to name just a few.

Some backup systems deal with this by running the backup software from an external bootable carrier (e.g. a bootable Linux CD)so that Windows isn't running during the imaging process.

I guess that Reflect has some way of detecting and dealing with changes which take place during the imaging process. How does it do this ? Or is it a proprietary secret ?

pacman

C.Bamford

United Kingdom
983 Posts

Posted - November 15 2013 :  10:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Thanks for posting.

We did write a blog on this very subject in the past, hopefully this will shed some light on your question:

http://blog.macrium.com/2012/11/backup-internals-what-is-vss-how-does-it-work-and-why-do-we-use-it/

Kind regards.
Chris - Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page

pacman
Starting Member

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - November 15 2013 :  18:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much. That's exactly what I wanted to know and, if I may say so, the blog entry is easily readable and the graphics are very good. Furthermore, the idea of collating info from sources such as forum entries into one clear text is superb. I only wish the same paradigm were used elsewhere. You set yourselves apart from at least one big-name backup product which has abandoned its support forum to its users and is now basing its support on the YOYO paradigm (You're On Your Own, bud). Which is one reason why I migrated to Macrium Reflect.

pacman
Go to Top of Page

Seekforever
Trusted Member

Canada
371 Posts

Posted - November 15 2013 :  19:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. MR support is at the top of the heap. I came here after using 2 mainstream imaging products and this support can't be beat.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000