free edition and new hard drive
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thevoid
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - December 05 2008 :  11:04:30  Show Profile
Hi, I am trying to migrate my backup image to a new hard drive. my old drive crunches like a good un and is driving me nuts, so I took the plunge and brought a new one in the hope that I could simply migrate the backup file.
however, on trying to restore I dont get the option of selecting my new drive. (bios sees the drive just fine)
is this due to a limitation of the free edition?

thanks in advance

Paul

Nick

United Kingdom
6029 Posts

Posted - December 05 2008 :  11:30:27  Show Profile
Hi
quote:
is this due to a limitation of the free edition?

No, the free edition is capable of restoring as well as imaging.

1. Look in your BIOS and try a different mode of operation for your primary disk controller if you can. If you can see IDE mode or legacy then it may help. If this works then don't forget to change it back after restore.

2. If that doesn't help or isn't possible then you'll need to create a BartPE rescue CD. http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/09/22/HowToCreateABartPERescueCDForMacriumReflect.aspx

2. If you are running Vista and can't create a BartPE CD then you'll need to purchase the full version to get the Windows PE 2.0 rescue CD.

Hope this helps

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

thevoid
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - December 05 2008 :  12:33:45  Show Profile
thanks for that, can I ask if the image can be restored to alternative hardware (as long as the disk controller set to generic microsoft) ? with the free edition

Edited by - thevoid on December 05 2008 12:34:27
Go to Top of Page

thevoid
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - December 05 2008 :  13:46:12  Show Profile
hi again, this is really doing my head in now, i have tried to restore an image to a different hard drive and not having any joy.
this is where i am:

booting from macrium boot disk
on the file explorer I see the drive i wish to restore, the usb drive containing the image and the usb boot drive
i can select the image from the usb drive and click next.
but there is no option to restore the ide drive, it sees the 2 usb drives but not the ide, even though it sees it in the file explorer on the 'select location of image' page

what am i doing wrong?
i've tried this on 2 p.c's with the same results
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6029 Posts

Posted - December 05 2008 :  13:48:50  Show Profile
quote:
thanks for that, can I ask if the image can be restored to alternative hardware (as long as the disk controller set to generic microsoft) ? with the free edition

Yes, if you are using Windows XP. Follow the instructions here: http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/07/15/HowToTransferWindowsXPToDifferentHardware.aspx

Hope this helps

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6029 Posts

Posted - December 05 2008 :  13:58:50  Show Profile
Hi
quote:
hi again, this is really doing my head in now, i have tried to restore an image to a different hard drive and not having any joy.
this is where i am:

booting from macrium boot disk
on the file explorer I see the drive i wish to restore, the usb drive containing the image and the usb boot drive
i can select the image from the usb drive and click next.
but there is no option to restore the ide drive, it sees the 2 usb drives but not the ide, even though it sees it in the file explorer on the 'select location of image' page

what am i doing wrong?
i've tried this on 2 p.c's with the same results

You have two USB drives attached?

Are you using the BartPE or Linux CD? AS I said, if you can't see your internal disk with the Linux CD you'll need to create a BartPE CD.

Follow all the steps here:
http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/06/30/HowToRecoverYourPCUsingTheLinuxRescueCDPartII.aspx

If you still can't see your IDE drive then you need to create a BartPE CD.
http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/09/22/HowToCreateABartPERescueCDForMacriumReflect.aspx

Hope this helps

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

thevoid
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - December 05 2008 :  14:11:57  Show Profile
Hi Nick, ta for the help and sorry for being so thick lol

I'll knock up a BarpPE disk as soon as i can but in the mean time i sorted it out in an odd yet effective way.
I dug out an old ide/usb converer i have and installed the hard disk i want to restore as a large usb drive. so I had 1 usb pen as a boot/ 1 usb pen with the image/ and the destination hard drive as a large usb drive, restored to the destination drive perfectly well and in no time at all.

odd workaround i know but it works

thanks
Paul
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000