Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

emg

18 Posts

Posted - December 06 2008 :  15:41:09  Show Profile
Hi,
Is it possible to create a bootable WinPE 2.0 256/512MB USB key from the rescue.iso created with the Reflect Rescue CD wizard?

I can create a bootable CD that works from the WinPE 2.0 ISO and I have created a bootable Linux USB key from the Reflect created ISO but all the info I can find relating to USB WinPE 2.0 booting references using the WAIK.

Example:
http://windowsconnected.com/blogs/joshs_blog/archive/2007/02/05/creating-a-bootable-winpe-2-0-usb-key.aspx

I thought it should be possible to use the Reflect created ISO instead of fluffing about with the WAIK?

Thanks,
Mike

Nick

United Kingdom
6080 Posts

Posted - December 08 2008 :  10:55:05  Show Profile
Hi Mike

It's not something we've tried - the boot menu somewhat negates the need for a USB flash boot. However, try copying the contents of 'c:\boot\macrium' to a USB flash drive formatted with FAT32 using Vista.

Hope this helps

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

emg

18 Posts

Posted - December 08 2008 :  12:39:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nick
It's not something we've tried - the boot menu somewhat negates the need for a USB flash boot. However, try copying the contents of 'c:\boot\macrium' to a USB flash drive formatted with FAT32 using Vista.

Thanks Nick,
I've tried this and it does not work. There is obviously something I'm missing. It looks like it tries to boot but just sits at a blank screen.

I thought I read either in the forums or on the site you were looking to include creating USB boot keys as a feature in a future release?

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6080 Posts

Posted - December 09 2008 :  09:58:01  Show Profile
Yes it seems that WinPE with USB flash boot is a bit hit and miss!

We are looking at including this in a future release if we can overcome some of the boot loader problems.

Kind regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Mr.B

Sweden
15 Posts

Posted - January 14 2009 :  14:58:43  Show Profile
booting macrium's winpe64 seems to work fine from my sandisk cruzer
bit slower booting the environment, but works
Go to Top of Page

PhillB
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - February 04 2009 :  17:49:17  Show Profile
quote:

Hi Mike

Nick - Macrium Support

Hi Mike,
Just wondered if anyone has successfully got this to work yet? I'm assuming on a drive failure the boot menu goes with it? If that's the case then I'd ideally liketo build a bootable USB rescue stick as my laptop doesn't have a CD drive.

Thanks,

Phill.

Edited by - PhillB on February 04 2009 17:52:50
Go to Top of Page

emg

18 Posts

Posted - February 04 2009 :  19:33:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PhillB

quote:

Hi Mike

Nick - Macrium Support

Hi Mike,
Just wondered if anyone has successfully got this to work yet? I'm assuming on a drive failure the boot menu goes with it? If that's the case then I'd ideally liketo build a bootable USB rescue stick as my laptop doesn't have a CD drive.

Thanks,

Phill.

Phil,
I've not. try directing your question to Nick as he would have the latest info on support for this. I am in the same situation. I don't really want to mess about with boot loaders and the like.
Go to Top of Page

emg

18 Posts

Posted - February 04 2009 :  19:34:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.B

booting macrium's winpe64 seems to work fine from my sandisk cruzer
bit slower booting the environment, but works

What was the procedure you follwed to create a booting winPE USB key?
Go to Top of Page

PhillB
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - February 04 2009 :  21:11:03  Show Profile
Hi Mike and Nick,

Thanks for the update. It seems to be working for me now. I missed one part of Nick's original answer, and that was to format using Vista. Initially I formatted the memory stick as Fat32 under WinXP then copied the contents of C:\Boot\Macrium to it and tried booting to the USB memory stick. It didn't boot. Then noticed the Vista part so reformatted the memory stick under Vista and it now boots fine and loads WinPE and teh Macrium recovery console.

Did you format under Vista? Wha I don't know is what Vista does format wise that WinXP doesn't?

Thanks and good luck getting it working your end,

Phill.
Go to Top of Page

emg

18 Posts

Posted - February 04 2009 :  23:20:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PhillB

Hi Mike and Nick,

Thanks for the update. It seems to be working for me now. I missed one part of Nick's original answer, and that was to format using Vista. Initially I formatted the memory stick as Fat32 under WinXP then copied the contents of C:\Boot\Macrium to it and tried booting to the USB memory stick. It didn't boot. Then noticed the Vista part so reformatted the memory stick under Vista and it now boots fine and loads WinPE and teh Macrium recovery console.

Did you format under Vista? Wha I don't know is what Vista does format wise that WinXP doesn't?

Thanks and good luck getting it working your end,

Phill.

Yes, formatted under Vista. I'll dig around for another key to try as this can be hardware specific. What size/make did you use?
Go to Top of Page

PhillB
Starting Member

6 Posts

Posted - February 04 2009 :  23:29:47  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by emg
Yes, formatted under Vista. I'll dig around for another key to try as this can be hardware specific. What size/make did you use?

Just a cheap Disgo 512MB.
Go to Top of Page

emg

18 Posts

Posted - November 09 2009 :  17:20:40  Show Profile
For future reference to help others, I have managed to create a bootable USB WinPE 2.1.200. The choice of USB key will determine success or failure! I used a Sandisk Cruzer Micro 2.0 Gb drive. You will need to prep the disk by removing the U3 partition (see Sandisk site for a small app that will do this). Once you have a standard formatted stick (with a single partition) you can then re-format it as a boot drive. Although others have mentioned performing this in Vista, I used Windows Server 2008 (I assume you can also use Windows 7 but not tested). The steps I used were:

Insert the USB key and start a command prompt (elevated as Administrator) and run the following. This set of commands assumes your USB key is detected as disk 1, you should double check that by doing a list of the disks before cleaning it. If you have multiple hard drives you could end up wiping your second drive using this command. You have been warned.

Diskpart
select disk 1 <--select the correct disk for your system!
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=fat32
assign
exit

Once finished, copy the contents of your 'c:\boot\macrium' folder to the key. That did it for me!
Go to Top of Page

Harry44Callahan
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - November 21 2009 :  16:17:35  Show Profile
quote:

Hi Mike

Hope this helps

Nick - Macrium Support

Nick,

I don't have the C:\boot directory in the new install done yesterday. Is there another workable director of files I can copy to the USB for Win. 7.

Harry

Harry M Callahan, Sr.
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6080 Posts

Posted - November 21 2009 :  16:42:27  Show Profile
Hi

You have a '\boot' directory on the active partition. This may or may not be 'C'. It's a hidden system folder, so make sure you have set these to be visible in Windows Explorer.

Also, make sure you have installed the Windows PE component. 'Other Tasks' > 'Add Recovery Boot Menu'.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Harry44Callahan
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - November 21 2009 :  18:21:59  Show Profile
quote:

Hi

You have a '\boot' directory on the active partition. This may or may not be 'C'. It's a hidden system folder, so make sure you have set these to be visible in Windows Explorer.

Also, make sure you have installed the Windows PE component. 'Other Tasks' > 'Add Recovery Boot Menu'.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Nick,

I checked my Folder Options and they are still set to display or "Show hidden files, folder, and drives." I have the "Hide protected operating system files unchecked." I have the folder options set to show all I can.

I did not have the "Add Recovery Boot Menu" but did this and check on a reboot, saw it in the boot menu and was able to boot to it.

Still not showing in Windows Explorer though.

searched "Computer" for "boot\macrium" (found nothing).

searched C:\ where my Win7 is installed for "boot\":

Here I found lots of boot directories under \Windows\ but nothing I could relate to Macrium.

I have Win7 and Macrium Reflect both installed on my C:\ directory.

Don't know what's happening here but everything else seems to work.

Could it be under Windows\boot\ <something else besides Macrium>?

Thanks,
Harry

Harry M Callahan, Sr.
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6080 Posts

Posted - November 21 2009 :  19:58:19  Show Profile
Hi Harry

It's stored on the active partition or 'C' as '\boot\macrium'.

Open a command prompt and type:

c:
CD c:\boot\macrium

d:
CD d:\boot\macrium

Until you find it.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked