Macrium Support Forum

This forum is for Version 5 of Macrium Reflect.
Version 6 users should join our new forum here.

Version 5 support expired on 17 February 2016.

Find out more
Macrium Support Forum
Macrium Support Forum    RSS 2.0  RSS Feed      KB
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Reflect v4
 Installation
 Changed partition numbers
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

StanByk
Starting Member

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - January 11 2009 :  10:09:03  Show Profile
Hi,

For testing purposes I have just upgraded my Vista system to Windows 7. After the upgrade I had to enter my serial number again.

Interestingly, the partition numbers have changed. My c: drive used to be Drive 1 Partition 1. After the upgrade it now is Drive 2 Partition 1.

I had to change my xml definition files to reflect this change and was now wondering why this change in the order of drives has happened?

By the way: I really like your program!

Thanks
Robert

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - January 11 2009 :  18:18:48  Show Profile
Hi
quote:
I had to change my xml definition files to reflect this change and was now wondering why this change in the order of drives has happened?

The disk numbering is derived from the disk numbering in the Windows 'Disk Management Console'. So it looks like Windows 7 is enumerating your disks in a different sequence. As this is beta software this may change though.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Mr.B

Sweden
15 Posts

Posted - January 12 2009 :  07:41:41  Show Profile
Hi..
i just tried windows7, windows7 seems to make an extra 200mb recovery partition, perhaps that is what happened
then to recover my raidsetup i had to delete it in bios and reset to make macrium functional again hence i got an errormessage from winpe partitions being locked
very odd i think when booting from winpe?
well, winbeta it is so didnt expect it to be unproblematic but fixed now

yes nick, great software i purchased macrium 2 days ago and i like it
im wondering while using images of different OS but on "same machine" is it then neccesary to unlicense macrium on each image to reapplicate to the new one
doing alot of imaging especially now with win7, just so i dont loose my license in some image when deleting some
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - January 12 2009 :  08:38:55  Show Profile
quote:
yes nick, great software i purchased macrium 2 days ago and i like it

Thanks!
quote:
im wondering while using images of different OS but on "same machine" is it then neccesary to unlicense macrium on each image to reapplicate to the new one
doing alot of imaging especially now with win7, just so i dont loose my license in some image when deleting some

No, you don't have to 'unlicense' if it's the same PC.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

pjb
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - January 30 2009 :  09:55:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.B

Hi..
i just tried windows7, windows7 seems to make an extra 200mb recovery partition, perhaps that is what happened
then to recover my raidsetup i had to delete it in bios and reset to make macrium functional again hence i got an errormessage from winpe partitions being locked
very odd i think when booting from winpe?
well, winbeta it is so didnt expect it to be unproblematic but fixed now

The extra 200mb is the area that Windows 7 puts aside I believe for the use of Bit Locker. They (Microsoft) have actually thought of it, as before in Vista you would have had to use other tools to resize and create the separate partition if you wanted to use Bit Locker. This way it is ready should the user wish to use it.
It is not really a good Idea to delete it. If you wish to see the partition type in the start search box, computer management, then click storage and disk management. :-)

Talking of Windows 7, I am looking at installing Reflect on my Widows 7 installation, has anyone had any compatibility issues with Reflect and Windows 7? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

akapune

Germany
12 Posts

Posted - November 07 2009 :  10:49:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nick

Hi
quote:

The disk numbering is derived from the disk numbering in the Windows 'Disk Management Console'. So it looks like Windows 7 is enumerating your disks in a different sequence. As this is beta software this may change though.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

It is still a severe issue in the final version of Windows 7. When you boot this OS it frequently changes the order of the disk drives as you can see in these two pictures.

A little bit more information can be found there: http://multibooters.co.uk/, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937251/en-us and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937252/en-us. The latter doc suggests that one should use the volume label information instead of the volume number to track particular volumes.

Could that be done by Reflect (in future versions) or is there any basic solution to prevent Windows 7/VISTA from changing the disk drive numbers?

Kind regards,
Albert

Go to Top of Page

akapune

Germany
12 Posts

Posted - November 07 2009 :  10:53:36  Show Profile
Sorry – here are the images:

Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - November 08 2009 :  20:55:04  Show Profile
Hi Albert

Thanks for that information.

This issue seems to occur only with some motherboards/disk controllers and isn't a problem for all Vista/Windows 7 installations.

We are going to add an option to select disks in the XML file based on the unique Disk ID in addition to the disk number enumerated by Windows. This should resolve the issue.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

akapune

Germany
12 Posts

Posted - November 08 2009 :  21:57:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nick

We are going to add an option to select disks in the XML file based on the unique Disk ID in addition to the disk number enumerated by Windows. This should resolve the issue.

Hi Nick,

Thank you very much for your reply (this weird behavior and my futile efforts to solve it ruined my weekend). Can you please drop me a line when that update will be available?

Kind regards
Albert
Go to Top of Page

akapune

Germany
12 Posts

Posted - December 17 2009 :  20:13:22  Show Profile
Hi Nick,

I have read your workaround in topic http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1920 which is pretty elegant and applicable to a system with only two hard drives. Unfortunately, my computer contains five of them – a check of every possible combination would become very complicated. So I really long for your disk ID solution.

Do you have any idea when it will be realized? Starting the old XP installation only for backup has become rather annoying … :-)

Thank you and kind regards,
Albert
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - December 18 2009 :  15:50:46  Show Profile
Hi Albert
quote:
Do you have any idea when it will be realized? Starting the old XP installation only for backup has become rather annoying … :-)

We hope to have an update next week.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000