Macrium Support Forum

This forum is for Version 5 of Macrium Reflect.
Version 6 users should join our new forum here.

Version 5 support expired on 17 February 2016.

Find out more
Macrium Support Forum
Macrium Support Forum    RSS 2.0  RSS Feed      KB
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Reflect v4
 Disk Imaging
 Free Edition questions
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Exceptional Erick
Regular Poster

USA
53 Posts

Posted - January 29 2009 :  12:37:05  Show Profile
My PC has a DVD/CD writer drive and a CD-ROM drive. CD-ROM Group is listed as boot priority one in BIOS; there's no DVD option. However, HP informed me that my PC does support DVD booting. Is this true?

Here's what I'd like to accomplish:

- Create a BartPE boot disk with your plug-in and burn it onto a DVD+RW.

- Use your Free Edition to create a full-system backup of my C drive and burn it onto a DVD+RW or two.

Does your Free Edition support disc spanning?

Let's suppose there comes a day when Windows XP Home fails to boot. I insert my BartPE boot disk into my DVD drive and load your Free Edition. Can I restore the backup image(s) from their DVD+RW(s) while my BartPE boot disk is inserted into my one and only DVD drive? If not, then is DVD storage not a solution for me?

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - January 29 2009 :  13:13:01  Show Profile
Hi
quote:
My PC has a DVD/CD writer drive and a CD-ROM drive. CD-ROM Group is listed as boot priority one in BIOS; there's no DVD option. However, HP informed me that my PC does support DVD booting. Is this true?

You must be able to list your DVD writer as a higher boot priority than your hard disk. The simplest thing to do is create a bootable DVD and try it.
quote:
Does your Free Edition support disc spanning?

Yes.
quote:
Let's suppose there comes a day when Windows XP Home fails to boot. I insert my BartPE boot disk into my DVD drive and load your Free Edition. Can I restore the backup image(s) from their DVD+RW(s) while my BartPE boot disk is inserted into my one and only DVD drive? If not, then is DVD storage not a solution for me?

Both the Linux and BartPE CD's can be ejected once booted.

Please Note: Optical media is inherently unreliable, an external or network drive is a better storage option.

Hope this helps

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Exceptional Erick
Regular Poster

USA
53 Posts

Posted - January 29 2009 :  13:30:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Nick

Hi
You must be able to list your DVD writer as a higher boot priority than your hard disk. The simplest thing to do is create a bootable DVD and try it.

Nick, I know that much. Do you know if the option CD-ROM Group in my BIOS' boot priority includes DVDs or not, as HP said it does?
quote:

Please Note: Optical media is inherently unreliable, an external or network drive is a better storage option.

Nick, I use first-class media, so why would this be a problem? My PC doesn't support USB booting, but could I still use a USB drive after ejecting my BartPE boot disk to restore a backup image?
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - January 29 2009 :  13:39:38  Show Profile
Hi
quote:
Nick, I know that much. Do you know if the option CD-ROM Group in my BIOS' boot priority includes DVDs or not, as HP said it does?

I'm afraid I've got absolutely no idea; there are hundreds of different BIOSes out there. Put a bootable DVD in your drive and see if it boots.
quote:
Nick, I use first-class media, so why would this be a problem? My PC doesn't support USB booting, but could I still use a USB drive after ejecting my BartPE boot disk to restore a backup image?

All optical media are vulnerable to scratches and drop-outs. DVD's are probably 100 times less reliable than a hard disk. Images that span more than one DVD cannot be mounted in Windows explorer and hard disks are many times faster to read and write.

Your PC doesn't need to support USB booting, you can start your PC with the rescue CD which will be able to detect network shares and USB drives to restore from.

Hope this helps

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Exceptional Erick
Regular Poster

USA
53 Posts

Posted - January 29 2009 :  19:24:12  Show Profile
Originally posted by Nick

Hi

quote:
All optical media are vulnerable to scratches and drop-outs. DVD's are probably 100 times less reliable than a hard disk. Images that span more than one DVD cannot be mounted in Windows explorer and hard disks are many times faster to read and write.

Even if I'm very careful with my discs? What's a drop out? Is verifying images ever necessary when backing up to a USB drive?

Edited by - Exceptional Erick on January 29 2009 19:27:44
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - January 29 2009 :  19:39:41  Show Profile
quote:
Even if I'm very careful with my discs? What's a drop out?

Please use DVD's if you want, but if you have access to a USB or network drive then that's a better option for the reasons already mentioned.
quote:
Is verifying images ever necessary when backing up to a USB drive?

Verification actually verifies the hardware not the software. You should always verify at least once to make sure that you don't have any hardware problems that may cause failure. With optical media you should probably verify every time.

Hope this helps

Nick - Macrium Support

Edited by - Nick on January 29 2009 19:40:12
Go to Top of Page

Exceptional Erick
Regular Poster

USA
53 Posts

Posted - January 30 2009 :  01:32:41  Show Profile
Nick, why doesn't Free Edition support image verification, which is important? I put it on the wish list.
Go to Top of Page

SteveB

United Kingdom
372 Posts

Posted - January 30 2009 :  02:09:38  Show Profile

Hi

Sorry but Auto Verify Images is only in the Full Edition

Hope this helps

Steve - Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page

Exceptional Erick
Regular Poster

USA
53 Posts

Posted - January 30 2009 :  02:53:54  Show Profile
SteveB, yes I know. I asked why.
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - January 30 2009 :  09:24:54  Show Profile
Hi
quote:
Nick, why doesn't Free Edition support image verification, which is important? I put it on the wish list.

The free version *does* support image verification. Menu 'Other tasks' > 'Verify Image'.

However, automatic verification is not a feature that is included with the free version. This is a product differentiation feature and isn't a feature that will be added.

For a list of differences between the full and the free version please see the comparison table on this page: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp

Kind regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Exceptional Erick
Regular Poster

USA
53 Posts

Posted - January 30 2009 :  11:49:10  Show Profile
Nick, I did compare their feature lists. Auto Verify Images is there, but no Manual Verify Images. Thank you for telling me.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 5.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000