Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AZBeagle
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - February 12 2009 :  17:21:04  Show Profile
I think I may have a problem with Macrium and Iím hoping you can confirm it, or explain what is happening.
I created an initial full image of my C: drive, and Iím storing it on a removable 500GB hard drive. The initial full image was 51.8GB.
Then I created a schedule for an incremental backup to occur weekly. The incremental backup has run 3 times. The first time it ran the file size was 28.5GB.
I thought there must be something wrong, so I waited another week for it to run. The next incremental backup is 32.8GB in size.
Now I was sure that something strange is going on. How can they be so large? It ran again Monday, and the backup file is 43.9GB.
So all together I have images totaling roughly 157GB of data.
My C: drive only has 89.9GB of data on it, so how can the backups be nearly twice the original, especially since Iím compressing the data, and I havenít added any significant new large files to C: since the original backup.
Can you please help as to what may be going on?
I can send you the logs if you walk me through the steps to do that.
Thanks.

Nick

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - February 12 2009 :  17:37:25  Show Profile
Hi

Are you running any kind of background defrag between images? A disk image is a sector copy and when files are defragged (moved) it causes changed sectors to be backed up.

In Vista it's possible that you are creating many restore points that aren't getting deleted. These can get created when you install and remove programs. Use the disk cleanup utility to purge restore points. http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/36cefd1c-0fbb-738b-2274-4098b15384fb1033.mspx .

Hope this helps

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

AZBeagle
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - February 12 2009 :  18:20:00  Show Profile
I do run PerfectDisk in the background, and it is set to defrag when the screen saver comes on. If I change to manual defrag that should take care of the issue? I also deleted old Vista restore points as suggested.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Merlin
Advanced Member

834 Posts

Posted - February 12 2009 :  18:37:32  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by AZBeagle

If I change to manual defrag that should take care of the issue?/quote]
If you feel the need to defrag, do it before your full backups only. Your incrementals should then be small and fast as long as there aren't significant changes in between.
Run one and let us know.
Go to Top of Page

AZBeagle
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - February 12 2009 :  23:25:44  Show Profile
Thanks for the reply. Just to make sure I understand, when my drive needs a defrag, I should:
Complete the defrag first
Delete all existing Macrium images
Make a new complete image
Make peiodic incremental images
Is that right?
Go to Top of Page

Merlin
Advanced Member

834 Posts

Posted - February 12 2009 :  23:44:23  Show Profile
You don't necessarily need to delete the prior images first.
If you want to do a full backup, defrag first if you need to.
Most users really don't need to defrag that often. It depends on the amount of installs/uninstalls you are doing. Some even argue whether they are of any benefit at all.
Then do incrementals until you want to do your next full backup.

As an example, I do full backups on the 1st and 15th of the month, and incrementals on Tues. and Fri. nights.
I also keep the last 3 full backup sets, but I'm paranoid.
Go to Top of Page

AZBeagle
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - February 13 2009 :  21:18:42  Show Profile
Following a defrag I did a full image (41.8GB),
and the incremental image today was 6GB, so apparently the resident defragger was the problem.
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000