Macrium Support Forum

This forum is for Version 5 of Macrium Reflect.
Version 6 users should join our new forum here.

Version 5 support expired on 17 February 2016.

Find out more
Macrium Support Forum
Macrium Support Forum    RSS 2.0  RSS Feed      KB
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
 All Forums
 Reflect v5
 Community
 Thumb drive (USB-stick) instead 'Boot CD' ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Merel

Belgium
11 Posts

Posted - January 11 2015 :  11:39:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if v5 or v6 do have the option to use a USB thumb drive instead of using a rescue boot CD.
Reason: The latest tablets with keyboard are sort of micro PC's but missing a CD reader and providing at most only one usb slot! Or is the 'Technician' version the only solution ?

Because those thumb drives and SSD drives are becoming very big in capacity and smaller in size, that would be the ideal tool to make local backups for more PC's.

(Furthermore I wonder if Macrium has a cloud storage service, maybe the safest storage location anyone can hope for).

et_and_family
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
500 Posts

Posted - January 11 2015 :  12:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Yes you can create a USB Windows PE rescue stick with version 5. See the following tutorial: http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50210.aspx

I suggest you make sure your version 5 installation is up to date before creating the USB stick: From the 'Other Tasks' menu of Reflect select 'Check for updates'.

Hope this helps

Regards

et
Go to Top of Page

Merel

Belgium
11 Posts

Posted - January 12 2015 :  09:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by et_and_family

Yes you can create a USB Windows PE rescue stick with version 5. See the following tutorial: http://kb.macrium.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50210.aspx
Thank you et. I quote the article:
quote:
FAT(32).
The FAT filesystem is older and compatible with non-Windows operating systems. USB sticks are commonly pre-formatted FAT. However, Windows systems will only format FAT systems to a maximum of 32GB and files are limited to 4GB.

NTFS. This is the native filesystem for Windows XP and later. Most USB external harddisks are formatted NTFS.

Less commonly, USB devices are formatted exFAT. However, exFAT is not suitable for booting.

Considering a 32GB rescue flash drive (FAT formatted) we must accept that 'images' backups of any OS are impossible to be stored on the flash drive itself.

So the NTFS format is required anyway for storing images of a system partition. So we end up with either 1 Fat32 flash drive + 1 NTFS usb disk , either only one NTFS drive as rescue boot drive, but also suitable to store/restore a system partition.

Correct me if I make some wrong conclusions. Thank you

Edited by - Merel on January 12 2015 09:47:48
Go to Top of Page

Drac144
Advanced Member

USA
647 Posts

Posted - January 12 2015 :  19:01:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as your total backup size is less than 32 GB (or so), you can store a backup to the drive. Reflect will segment a backup to any size you specify. I always create my backups with 4 GB maximum file size so I can save them to DVD's or FAT formatted drives. I do not have much need for this anymore, but continue to create by backups this way. It can help with copying the files - several smaller files seems to cause fewer issues than one large file. Typically my backups are spread over 10 - 14 physical files of 4 GB or less (for the last one).

Edited by - Drac144 on January 12 2015 19:02:31
Go to Top of Page

Nick

United Kingdom
6303 Posts

Posted - January 12 2015 :  19:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Merel

As @Drac144 has indicated, backup files can be split. If the target drive is formatted FAT32 then images are automatically split into 4GB 'chunks'.

Kind regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Go to Top of Page

Merel

Belgium
11 Posts

Posted - January 12 2015 :  22:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both. Nothing but good news, since it can work both ways.

What about backup files to send to cloud storage?.
Does Macrium has already some service?

Sorry to ask simple questions, which I could investigate on my own. I'm sorry for that, but who was never in shortage of time? A quick question is more efficient and a quick answer is easy to respond. Thank you very much for that.
Go to Top of Page

StephenG

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - January 13 2015 :  09:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Merel,

We currently do not offer a cloud storage service. However if you want to synchronize your backup files with a popular cloud storage provider you can set your backup destination to a folder that is synchronized to cloud storage.

Kind regards

Stephen - Macrium Support
Go to Top of Page

johnmsch
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - January 21 2015 :  16:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Merel

I wonder if v5 or v6 do have the option to use a USB thumb drive instead of using a rescue boot CD.

I use a fantastic utility called REMPrepUSB http://www.rmprepusb.com/. I keep dozens of ISO files on a USB stick and can boot to any of them. After installing Reflect and creating the ISO, I simply added it to the list.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Macrium Support Forum © Paramount Software UK Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.21 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000